Yeomanry in the New World

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Wed Sep 10 18:22:33 MDT 2003

Dmschanoes wrote, "the old notion that US capitalism benefited from a
relative shortage of population, forcing its manufacturing to be more
'productive,' more capital intensive is a myth and that the real growth
in manufacturing and rate of output is part of the relative abundance of
population through immigration."

How can we talk of cause and effect in this way?  How can we make
distinctions between growth of manufacturing and growth in population?
Each are both the cause and the effect of the other. What makes one
mechanistic formulation right and the other "a myth"?

Again, in some of these posts, colonial conditions are being smudged
into what happened or didn't happen after the Homestead Act.

Solidarity!
Mark L.