IV353 Venezuela 1 Part2 (Reformated)

Stuart Munckton stuartmunckton at yahoo.com.au
Fri Sep 12 03:39:02 MDT 2003

 --- Ben C <benj at connexus.net.au> wrote: > "There is
not in Venezuela a party of the working
> class worthy of this
> name in the manner of the Workers' Party (PT) of
> Brazil."

While the PT reference is just plain stupid (why is a
Party that implements anti-working class policies when
it gets into power worthy of the name 'a party of the
working class'?) the need to create some sort of
centralisation of the vanguard forces that have
emerged and continue to emerge is a critical step, as
recognised by the central leadership of the
revolutionary proccess - the 'revolutionary command',
whose key theoretical spokesperson wrote ana rticle
earlier this year entitled 'Now all we need is a
Party'. It is this recognition that lead to the
formation of the 'National Front' which aims to bring
all the pro-revolution forcesd under one umbrella.

it should be noted that there isn't even an
organisation along the lines of the July 26th Movement
in Venezuela. It isn't that they need to go attempt to
create some sort of highly homogenous party
organissaed along the lines of a highly defined
program, that would be stupid, but the revolutionary
forces,many of them new grass roots leaders thrown up
out of the struggles of the last couple of years, are
not united and there is little centralisation of their
forces - a key weakness. There is a big division
between the central leaders at a national level and
the new grass roots leaders. This was clear in the
when the coup  happenned. The central leaders were
largely helpless, it was the new, semi-spontatneous
leadership thrown up by the struggle that were able to
 lead their communities. As for Chavez's party, the
MVR, there is plenty of evidence that, asides from
Chavez and probably a few other militans, many MVR
leaders and parliamentarians are distrusted by the
poor and tend to continue old corrupt style approach
to politics that has blighted Venezuela.

Of course, uniting the vanguard forces that have
emerged is very different from some existing party
recruiting to itself without any regroupment. In this
sense, it is proably a good thing, not just that
Stalinism doesn't have a huge hold in Venezuela, but
also that Venezuela is not cursed with the Argentinean
Trotskyist Left as well.

> "Hugo Chavez lacks political education

It is clear the author meant this in is a particular
sense - that Chavez put his faith early on with forces
that should not have been trusted. This seems to be a
view held, not just by this author, but by others
inside Venezuela as well, which is where I assume the
author got the charge from. Whether this is an
accurate charge I don't know, but it is part of a
broader debate about how conscious Chavez has been in
his project, and how much he has been responding to
and radicalised by events as they unfold. The evidence
seems to me that Chavez has been very conscious of the
project and what is need to carry it out.

He consciously formed a revolutionary group inside the
armed forces more than 20 years ago and consciously
built it. You can look at interviews, such as the one
with DSP member Steve O'Brian in 1995, which can be
viewed at the www.cislac.org.au in the latest edition
of Venceramous, to see how Chavez saw his project
then.

The most important thing for me is that the author has
put the discussion within the framework of recognising
that here is a rela and serious battle for liberation
and that Chavez and the central leaderhip are playing
a progressive role with in this.

We have Alvaro Guzman here in Canberra next Tuesday,
which is being eagerl;y anticipated.

Stuart

http://search.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Search