Forwarded from Anthony (farmers)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Sep 12 09:28:13 MDT 2003

DMS wrote:
> My recollection is a little bit different, regarding Jacksonian democracy, and an
> alliance between the Southern slaveholders and Northern small farmers-- I don't
> think such an alliance existed.

Well, Jackson himself was a slaveowner. The Democratic Party not only
included agrarian proprietors, North and South, but an embryonic working
class as well. Looking to the Northern components of the party, people
like Arthur Schlesinger Jr. would emphasize the democratic and plebian
character. But both Harry Braverman and George Novack viewed Jackson's
presidency as a key element of the hegemonic rise of the slavocracy.
Eventually a rising industrial bourgeoisie would launch a civil war in
order to break its power.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org