marxism-digest V1 #6336

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Fri Sep 12 18:21:21 MDT 2003

El Viernes 12 de Septiembre de 2003 a las 14:15,
Macdonald Stainsby dijo sobre Re: marxism-digest V1 #6336 que:

> sure he killed a lot of people, but
> we must remember they were communists, so it's notreally all bad at all...

This dictum by a right-wing madperson in Canada is current and open
stuff when people who belong or support what is known as the "centre-
right" here meet and have some intimate cocktail.

During the recent judgement of the criminal Generals of 76 they even
pretended to use this as an alibi.

And there were a couple of Generals who even admitted they had done
terrible things, but, hey, "if we hadn't done them, then Argentina
would be a Cuba today!" (oh, if only we were _half_ the way Cubans
are today...)

All this by people who pass for "civilized", who would never accept
to be branded "extreme right", and who would be sincerely outraged if
one bracketed them with Goebbels, Hitler and their likes.

The fact is that 9 times in 10, the phrase quoted by Macdonald is
what common people receive when we get "democracy" in Argentina and
Latin America in general.

In the concrete world of politics and serious life, "democracy" means
"imperialist democratism" those 9 times out of 10.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar

Buenos Aires, 1822