I am inclined to cut Mel Gibson some slack

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 14 14:44:46 MDT 2003

Mel Gibon's not my speciality, sorry.
I shouldn't have said rightwing militant,
since I don't gather he's primary active
in politics, just that he support causes
like this. My comment was unclear.
His anti-gay statements were quite
notorious awhile bac.

The following came up in a quick
Google search on him. It was very
hard to read, so I've reformatted it.
Sorry for the confusion.

Walter
===========================

(reformatted from the source)
http://internetdump.com/users/glbtlasvegaslive/mgletter.html
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 1995 11:45:06 -0700 (PDT) From: Rex
Wockner Subject: MEL GIBSON ANTI-GAY HISTORY

Editors:

In light of all the controversy about Mel Gibson's new
film, here's the history from my archives. Rex Wockner

Copyright (c) 1992 Rex Wockner and affiliated publications.

BACKGROUND ARTICLE #1 --
FILED BY REX WOCKNER JANUARY 1992

MEL GIBSON DENOUNCES GAYS IN SPANISH INTERVIEW by Rex
Wockner Outlines News Service (Article filed January 1992)

Heartthrob actor Mel Gibson, asked by one of Spain's
leading magazines what he thinks of homosexuals, launched
into a tirade against gay men.

"They take it up the ass," Gibson told El Pais as he got
out of his chair, bent over and pointed to his butt. "This
is only for taking a shit," he said.

Reminded by the interviewer, Koro Castellano, that he
worked with gays while studying at the School of Dramatic
Arts, Gibson added: "They were good people, kind, I like
them. But their thing is not my thing."

Castellano said, "But you were obsessed with the thought
that if you were an actor, people would confuse you with
one of them."

"Yes," Gibson admitted, "but I did it. I became an actor
despite that. But with this look, who's going to think I'm
gay? It would be hard to take me for someone like that.

"Do I sound like a homosexual?" he asked. "Do I talk like
them? Do I move like them?

"What happens is when you're an actor, they stick that
label on you," Gibson said. "I go from playing rugby one
week to taking dance classes in black leotards the next.
Many of the girls that I met in school took it for granted
that I was gay."

Gibson's holds extreme conservative views on other issues.

He has quit the Catholic Church because he believes the
reforms of the Second Vatican Council in the 1960s went too
far.

"For 1,950 years [the church] does one thing and then in
the 60s, all of a sudden they turn everything inside out
and begin to do strange things that go against the rules,"
he explained to El Pais.

"Everything that had been heresy is no longer heresy,
according to the [new] rules. We [Catholics] are being
cheated. ... The church has stopped being critical. It has
relaxed. I don't believe them, and I have no intention of
following their trends.

"It's the church that has abandoned me, not me who has
abandoned it," he said.

Like the Catholic Church, Gibson opposes birth control,
saying, "God is the only one who knows how many children we
should have, and we should be ready to accept them."

The interview appeared in the magazine's Dec. 1 issue.

-- END --

BACKGROUND ARTICLE #2 -- FILED BY REX WOCKNER FEBRUARY 1992

Copyright (c) 1992 Rex Wockner and affiliated publications.

MEL GIBSON REFUSES TO APOLOGIZE TO GAYS by Rex Wockner
Outlines News Service (Article filed February 1992)

Actor Mel Gibson, speaking Jan. 21 on ABC-TV's "Good
Morning America," refused to apologize to gay men, who he
ridiculed late last year in an interview with the Sunday
magazine of Spain's largest newspaper, El Pais.

"I don't think there's an apology necessary, and I'm
certainly not giving one," Gibson said. "[Those remarks
were a response] to a direct question. If someone wants my
opinion, I'll give it. What, am I supposed to lie to them?

"The other thing is, it was translated from English to
Spanish, back from Spanish to English, then used by
[columnist] Liz Smith [who received the story from this
reporter] out of context in her article," Gibson said.
"It's old news, really old news."

The Spanish-to-English translation was done by this
reporter, who speaks Spanish, and by a professional
translator who emigrated from Cuba.

The "Good Morning America" interviewer pressed Gibson,
"Are you saying to me that you did not make any anti-gay
statements at all?"

Gibson responded: "I didn't lie. Put it that way.... Liz
Smith seems to be violating my right to have an opinion. I
have a right to an opinion."

Robert Bray, spokesman for the National Gay and Lesbian
Task Force, was livid at Gibson's new statements.

"And I have a right to respond to Mel Gibson's anti-gay
defamation," Bray said. "He can kiss my queer ass. He can't
defame gays and then try to wiggle out of it by blaming the
translation. And he's not even denying he made the
statements. He's saying he has a right to his opinion.

"Gay fans of Mel Gibson need to throw away their 'Mad Max'
tapes and stop going to his movies until he stops defaming
gay people," All of Mel Gibsons work should be boycotted
untill he becomes a man untill he issues an apology to the
whole gay community around the world!. Bray said.

In the original interview, in the Dec. 1 issue of the El
Pais Sunday magazine, Gibson was directly asked his opinion
of homosexuals. He responded, "They take it up the ass."

According to El Pais, he laughed, got up, bent over,
pointed to his butt, and continued, "This is only for
taking a shit."

("Que les den por el culo." Gibson se rie, se levanta, pone
el trasero en pompa y se lo senala. "Esto es solo para
hacer caca.")

The interviewer recalled that Gibson previously had
expressed fear people would think he is gay because he's an
actor. He responded: "With this look, who's going to think
I'm gay.

"I don't lend myself to that type of confusion. Do I sound
like a homosexual? Do I talk like them? Do I move like
them?"

("?Quien va a pensar que con esta pinta soy gay? Yo no me
presto a ese tipo de confusiones. ?Sueno como un
homosexual? ?Hablo como ellos? ?Me muevo como ellos?")

Gibson also told El Pais that he quit the Catholic Church
because it has become too liberal and that, "God is the
only one who knows how many children we should have, and we
should be ready to accept that."

("Dios es el unico que sabe cuantos hijos debemos tener y
debemos estar dispuestos a que vengan.") --END--

Translation assistance: Eduardo Aparicio.

(THE UPSIDE-DOWN QUESTIONS MARKS APPEAR IN SPANISH AT THE
BEGINNING OF A QUESTION. IN THIS COMPUTERIZED FILE, THEY
APPEAR AS ORDINARY QUESTIONS MARKS. CHANGE THEM.)

Accent marks: i in Pais, i in rie, o in solo, ~ over n in
senala, e in quien, u in unicos, a in cuantos.

I CHANGED ONE SENTENCE SINCE THE FIRST ARTICLE. THE EARLIER
TRANSLATION OF THE SENTENCE WAS A PROFESSIONAL TRANSLATOR'S
RENDERING WHEREAS THIS TIME I OPTED TO GO WITH A LITERAL
TRANSLATION OF THE SPANISH: "I DON'T LEND MYSELF TO THAT
TYPE OF CONFUSION" INSTEAD OF "IT WOULD BE HARD TO TAKE ME
FOR SOMEONE LIKE THAT."

Main Menu

G.B.L.T.Index

In My Opinion:

Sponsored by: Ashley's Sex Toys and Adult Video Store