Arnold Schwarzenegger and Theodore Bilbo [brief comment]

Hunter Gray hunterbadbear at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 15 03:48:55 MDT 2003

I don't like Arnold Schwarzenegger, never have and, of course, I never will.

For my  informed money, one of the worst American demagogues to grace the
latter 19th century very, very deeply into the 20th was long-time United
States Senator Theodore Bilbo [1877 1947] of Poplarville, Pearl River
County, Mississippi.

Absolutely raw racist hatred -- mostly against Blacks ["N_____rs"] and Jews
[by many nefarious names, of course] -- but also against labor unions and
immigrants and much more -- spewed forth almost continually from his
venomous mouth until the very moment he passed into the spirit world. He was
a physically little man  and he liked and encouraged lynching.

Now, when I see grinning Schwarzenegger's slippery antics, doubletalk and
lying, and mass adulation by the crowds around him, I think of Bilbo --
hatemonger and opportunist of the first water. [Maybe it's psychic.] Of
course, Schwarzenegger is not Bilbo by a very long stretch -- but there
certainly are many deep chills-and-fever similarities. Plenty of "people of
the fewest alternatives" are still summarily killed physically these days
but the preferred approach now, obviously, is to kill their socio/economic
programs.

There are always decent people -- even  in the pits of Hell.  One in
Mississippi at that blood-dimmed time was "to the manor born" William
Alexander Percy of Greenville [1885  1942], then and now one of this
country's most gifted writers.  [See his splendid and timeless Lanterns on
the Levee:  Recollections of a Mississippi Planter's Son.]

He was a consistently vigorous foe of the Ku Klux Klan and all its works and
a sworn enemy of Bilbo.  Asked once to succinctly sum up the Poplarville
Entity, Percy didn't have to think long at all.

"A pert, glib little monster."

And I pass that along for 2003.

Hunter Gray  [Hunterbear] Micmac/St Francis Abenaki/St Regis Mohawk  Idaho
www.hunterbear.org
Protected by Na´shdo´i´ba´i´
and Ohkwari'

remembering way. [Hunterbear]