U.S., Brits Block WMD Report?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Sep 17 08:06:21 MDT 2003

>Les asks about stories changing on web sites. It is true, they change
>very often, and a great deal, to boot.
>
>José

Speaking of changed stories, I recommend Russ Kick's "The Memory Hole" at
http://www.thememoryhole.org/. It is focused on how the print and
electronic media changes or dumps headlines, the body of an article,
graphics, etc. for obvious political reasons. For example:

 >>> When the White House published the text of and photos from Bush's
speech announcing the supposed end of the Iraq attack, the headline read:
"President Bush Announces Combat Operations in Iraq Have Ended." But on
Tuesday, 19 Aug 2003, the Cursor website noticed that the headline had been
changed to read: "President Bush Announces Major Combat Operations in Iraq
Have Ended." The word "major" had been added.

Apparently, with the quagmire resulting in at least one dead US soldier a
day--not to mention even more injuries, dead Iraqis, and sabotage--that
headline had proved incorrect. Therefore, straight out of 1984, the
headline was stealthily altered to make it seem as if that's what it had
always said.

We were able to recover numerous instances of the unaltered headline. At
the top of the page is the original headline, as it has been preserved on
the Website of Scott Long, who collects photos of politicians on aircraft
carriers. Under that, you'll find the headline as it is now. More examples
are below.