To Rosa Harris

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Sep 18 11:21:37 MDT 2003

Rosa Harris wrote:
>Talking About Huey P. Newton and the Black Panther
>Party--the Early Years
>
>Revolutionary Worker #1213, September 21, 2003, posted
>at rwor.org

>background of RCP Chairman Bob Avakian, this week we
>are publishing excerpts edited from an interview with
>Bob Avakian on some of his experiences with the Black
>Panther Party.

Rosa, you just posted 21 kilobytes of an interview with Bob Avakian that is
available at: http://www.rwor.org/a/1213/bahuey.htm

Marxmail tries to be inclusive, but we are set up primarily for debate and
discussion rather than having 21 kilobyte leaflets thrown out of airplanes.

On the substance, Bob Avakian has created a cult around himself. Any young
radical worth his or her salt would be utterly alienated from an
organization that has pictures of its leader on a website that are
reminiscent of velvet paintings of Elvis Presley.

With respect to Avakian's brand of "Marxism-Leninism", I recommend that
comrades take a look at my review of Max Elbaum's "Revolution Was in the
Air", a book that critiques the 1970s and 80s Maoist movement in the same
spirit as my critique of Trotskyism.

http://www.columbia.edu/~lnp3/mydocs/american_left/elbaum.htm