Radical cheerleaders

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Sep 22 07:48:29 MDT 2003

We’re Here! We Cheer! Get Used To It!

Waving pompoms and wearing kilts, these young men and women root for
political causes, not sports teams
Radical cheerleaders like this New York troupe talk politics with pompoms

By Barbara Kantrowitz
NEWSWEEK

Sept. 29 issue —  At first, the cheerleaders getting ready for practice
in a Los Angeles park seem like average teens as they sip Coke and
pepper their sentences with “like.” But then 17-year-old Larry Wood
peels off his sweat pants to reveal a short black and red pleated skirt.
A startled onlooker yells out, “Faggot!” Wood, who has a girlfriend,
shrugs and tries an arabesque. “I just don’t pay attention to it,” he
says. “It shows how much they know. It doesn’t matter if you’re gay or
bi. We should all be treated equally.” Moments later, Wood and the 11
other members of Radical Teen Cheer, who come from two inner-city high
schools and several colleges, launch into their first routine: “We’re
teens, we’re cute, we’re radical to boot! We’re angry, we’re tough and
we have had enough!”

full: http://www.msnbc.com/news/969056.asp?0cv=KB10

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org