Weezer

Jurriaan Bendien bendien at tomaatnet.nl
Wed Sep 24 09:46:42 MDT 2003

(Paul McCartney of Beatles fame once wrote a rockin track called "Get back",
but with weezer we get another slant on this theme).

weezer was founded in los angeles on february 14, 1992 by rivers cuomo,
jason cropper, matt sharp, and pat wilson. the band began writing music and
playing local clubs. despite not having much success at first, the band
pressed forward. after 16 months together, playing shows and recording demos
in los angeles, dgc records (geffen) signed weezer. the band moved to new
york to record at the famed electric lady studios under producer ric ocasek
(of cars fame). during the recording of weezer, jason left the band to take
care of his future wife, who was pregnant with their first child. jason was
replaced by brian bell, a then bassist from a band called carnival art.

weezer's self-titled debut album was released on May 10, 1994, and was a hit
from the start. they released three singles from weezer: "undone - the
sweater song", "buddy holly", and "say it ain't so". "buddy holly" won
several mtv awards that year, and weezer eventually went double-platinum.
after several tours around the u.s. and the world, the band settled back in;
rivers went to school at harvard, matt and pat worked on a new band named
the rentals, and brian resumed work with a former band of his, the space
twins. in the early winter of 1995 and the summer of 1996, weezer once again
commenced into the studio, but this time they were to produce the album
themselves.

on september 24th 1996, weezer's much-awaited second lp, entitled pinkerton,
was released. it is quite the opposite of weezer; the guitars are more
gruff, the lyrics have a deeper meaning, and the band's talent and style has
matured considerably. weezer released three songs from pinkerton: "el
scorcho", "the good life", and "pink triangle". pinkerton went gold in
record sales and has been a steady seller since. in the band downtime after
pinkerton, matt sharp has left the bassist position (under good terms) to
pusue his ever more notable band, the rentals. filling matt's place is mikey
welsh, of boston, and formerly of juliana hatfield's band. during 1998
rivers & mikey played a few shows together in boston (dubbed "the rivers
cuomo band"). the following spring rivers and mikey joined brian and pat in
los angeles and had on/off rehearsal sessions over the next couple of years.
rivers devoted some time to "homie" which released one song, brian released
a couple of records with his spacetwins, and pat and mikey toured with the
special goodness.

fast forward to spring 2000. after playing unannounced shows under secret
names, in addition to more frequent rehearsals, weezer booked dates on that
summer's warped tour, and subsequently a nationwide club tour. much to the
band's surprise the dates sold out instantly. juiced by an overwhelming fan
response and a wealth of new material, weezer was back. following another
sold-out tour in the fall the band continued writing and practicing new
material in los angeles into 2001. a christmas song e.p. was distributed to
fans and radio stations and shortly before the new year weezer began
recording their 3rd effort, dubbed "the green album" in los angeles, again
with producer ric ocasek. with the album finished the band got back on the
road for much of the rest of 2001. Mid summer saw another line-up change,
with Mikey replaced by bass heavyweight Scott Shriner. The band continued
their relentless touring through 2001, finally pausing to record their 4th
album, Maladroit, which was released in May 2002. The band continued touring
till september, when they took a break and intermitently worked on new tunes
for a 5th album.

Source: http://www.weezer.com/news/

Here is a lyric from Weezer called "The good life":

When I look in the mirror
I can't believe what I see
Tell me, who's that funky dude
Staring back at me
Broken, beaten down
Can't even get around
Without an old - man cane
I fall and hit the ground
Shivering in the cold
I'm bitter and alone

Excuse the bitching
I shouldn't complain
I should have no feeling
Cos feeling is pain
As everything I need
Is denied me
And everything I want
Is taken away from me
But who do I got to blame?
Nobody but me

And I don't wanna be an old man anymore
It's been a year or two since I was out on the floor
Shaking booty, making sweet love all the night
It's time I got back to the good life
It's time I got back, it's time I got back
And I don't even know how I got off the track
I wanna go back, yeah!

Screw this crap, I've had it!
I ain't no Mr. Cool
I'm a pig, I'm a dog
So excuse me if I drool
I ain't gonna hurt nobody
Ain't gonna cause a scene
Just need to admit
That I want sugar in my tea
Hear me (hear me) I want sugar in my tea!

I don't wanna be an old man anymore
It's been a year or two since I was out on the floor
Shaking booty, making sweet love all the night
It's time I got back to the good life
It's time I got back, it's time I got back
And I don't even know how I got off the track
I wanna go back, yeah!

I wanna go back, I wanna go back