Query: Numerical strength of the working class in Cuba in1959

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Sep 25 06:47:27 MDT 2003

Johannes Schneider wrote:
> Last night I had an argument with an comrade about the Cuban revolution. To
> resolve this argument I need some information about the numerical strength
> of the working class in Cuba in 1959.

According to Robin Blackburn ("Prologue to the Cuban Revolution", NLR
1963), Cuba had a workforce of just under 2 million and about 1 million
were in unions just prior to the revolution. 400,000 worked in urban
settings and 700,000 were unemployed. The best general interest
treatment of the subject is Maurice Zeitlin's "Revolutionary Politics
and the Cuban Working Class".

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org