American Trotskyism child of the CPUSA

Waistline2 at aol.com Waistline2 at aol.com
Thu Sep 25 09:27:05 MDT 2003

>This is a settled matter. We won this one.  I prefer to debate those who
still disagree onmatters on which they are more willing to accept the test of
reality. This isnot 1937 when Trotsky, Sedov, Shachtman, Novack, and others had
to spend dayafter day pounding away at the trials.  Its a settled issue,
extremelywell documented by thousands of people both better and worse qualified
thanBertram Wolfe. Nothing Bob Gould can say will convince the stragglers,
nothinghe can say strengthens the verdict that the human race, almost as a
species,has reached on this matter.

Those of us who can securely chalk this battle up in our win column should
beeager to move on and determined to do so, as I am.

Fred Feldman<

Comment

You hit the nail on the head inadvertently or rather from an old
ideologicalpolarity. There are no columns of win and lose except to the polarity
thatevolved in America called the CPUSA and the Trotskyite Ideological"Movement.&
quot; These two sides - reflections, of the political process shadowingthe
social movement in America, have never really had anything in common with aMarxist
or rather materialist grasp of American history and the historicalrecord
exist to prove this. The reason I state nothing about the Moscow trialsis because
I speak of the trails in America during the period in question. Ifail to
understand why the Moscow trials are historically important to ourworking class in
the first place.

The Trotskyite movement evolved from the inner politics of the Soviet state
andnot from social movements in society.  This is obvious to anyone that
haslooked at the history.

What a tragedy for the workers to say, "our" side won. What did
youwin?

Here is a story that maybring out the logic of how one can be blind to events
when they exist as apolarity of a distortion.

It was one of those days in the jungle when it was not to hot, but a little
dryand the elephant was standing under some shade drinking from a small pond.
Thelion came roaring up to the elephant beating on his chest screaming, "I
amthe king of the jungle."   The small animals scatteredeverywhere and
the monkey climbed high up a tree to stay out of the lion's way.

The elephant said nothing and threw a hardy splash of water on his back.

The Lion shouted out, "I am the King of the jungle and will kick
anyoneass that says different."

The elephant said nothing and the lions ran up to him and bite him on the
leg.The elephant brush him to the side with his trunk and resumed his bathing.

The monkey broke out in laughter and told the other animals the lion
wasn'tshit and they start laughing at the lion.

The lion became angry and let out a loud roar and scream, "I AM THE
KINGOF THE JUNGLE."

The elephant looked at the lion, said nothing and went on bathing.

In a fraction of a second the lion leaped from the ground onto the back of
theelephant and started biting him in the back of his neck. The elephant
quicklystepped to the side, inverted his back and with a swift movement of his
trunksnatched the lion of his back and stepped on his several times.

The elephant looked at the lion, said nothing and went on bathing.

Moments from death the lion raised his front leg and said, "I AM THE
KINGOF THE JUNGLE" and died.

The monkey climbed from the tree and went over to the elephant and signaled
forhim to bend down to tell him something. The elephant bent down to
listenbecause the monkey be signifying but picked up a lot of wisdom from hanging
outhigh in the trees.

The monkey says, "some know and some don't know. Some know but don't
knowthey know. Some don't know and do not know they do not know, but think
theyknow. The lion is a mutherfucker that don't know and thinks he knows. When acat
doesn't know, a cat don't know and that is a cat that definitely don't
knowshit. Then again there are a bunch of cats out there that don't know."

The idea of winning, in a "no win" situation reminds me of the
catthat don't know.  Here is a cat that don't know.

In America the communists of the generation of the Moscow trails - a couple
ofgenerations ago, were not students of jurisprudence but lined up on the
basisof political alignment, which was rooted in history and the work in front
ofthem. World War 1 cased a realignment in the political movement and groups
wasreconfigured on the basis of the October Revolution. The significance of thebook
"The Great Conspiracy" in this regard is the description of
ahistorical political alignment and not the trails.

It is so hard for some to say good-bye to yesterday and deny the origins
oftheir birth. Trotskyism in America has always understood that it was a
polarityto the CPUSA and unknowingly admits the origin of its birth. Trotskyism
inAmerica did not evolve on the basis of the October Revolution but the CPUSA.
Trotskyismin America is an abortion because it comes from an aborted and
disfiguredpolitical movement. Shit does not know it stinks.

Cats do not understand American history except on the basis of
ideologicalcategories. It is hard to accept that everyone can be historically wrong, butthat
is how history unfolds for everyone. I did not come out of this polarityof
the CPUSA and ideological Trotskyism. My activity evolved at a differentjuncture
in American history.

During the last era, the qualitative transition in the internal
politicalfabric in America occurred in the form of the Watts Rebellion of 1965.
Anotherjuncture would be reached on the basis of this new qualitative configurationthat
is Watts in 1967 Detroit, but that is a story for later.  During therebellion
Dick Gregory ran into the street and mounted a podium to claim themasses in
revolt.

There was a young man standing about 100 feet from a police officer
listeningattentively to what Dick Gregory was saying. Dick was pleading with the
massesto return home and allow the leaders of the community to solve the issues
ofpolice brutality and poverty.

The young man was very angry over the police violence and social decay in
whichhe lived. He looked at the police officer and stuck his hand in his jacket
andput it firmly around the handle of his pistol. He looked at Dick Gregory
andthen looked at the police. He looked at the police and then Dick again. For
afull thirty seconds his head turned back and forth from the police to
DickGregory and finally he pulled out his pistol and shot Dick Gregory. The
newqualitative ingredient was not the rebellion but the rejection of the politicalmiddle,
which momentarily "broke" the connection of a historicalpolitical
contradictory motion in American politics.  Dick Gregory was thepolitical
middle. This is the logic of American history – the rejection andcollapse of the
political middle.

This is a true story and hereis the point where the petty bourgeois leaders
were rejected with a bullet anda new level of struggle emerged in America that
rendered the CPUSA and theTrotskyite ideological movements obsolete. Things
went further in Detroit and apolitical development emerged placing a section of
the proletarians leadersforever outside the orbit of the CPUSA/Trotskyite
polarity because they areideological groups of disgruntled intellectuals and not
political groups on theone hand. On the other hand they are formation of
another era.  If is notthat "we" made an analysis of "the rejection
of the politicalmiddle" and then evolved on that basis, but rather we
evolved on the basisof this rejection - or old political alignment and then
analyzed why.

Here is the point. No one in American history even attempts to write about
thereal history of the working class movement and its political logic except
thecommunist workers. Everyone else writes ideological pronouncements.
Thedegeneracy of the Trotskyite ideology is no different from that of the CPUSAand both
did not see new ingredients in the working class movement but a socialmovement
of a race of people. When we said, "No you are making a horriblemistake&
quot; both aspects of the polarity of distortion said, "No, youpeople do
not understand the importance of race."

To this very day this is the polarity on Marxline, which I am forever
outsideof. Not because of thinking, but the communist workers cannot enter
anideological polarity outside of their class instincts. Here is why the comradescannot
understand the Civil War. A fight between two groupings is nevercomplex. The
complexity is the inner logic compelling one to fight and how thisinner logic
transforms the combatants and gives shape to slogans, rallyingcries and the
historical assertions. I do not sound like any of the comradesbecause of the
history juncture from which I emerged. Yet, anyone canunderstand the simple logic
of the complexity of the social process withstraight talk.

A win column? Who are you fighting? Let me guess, the folks who sided with
theproletariat state. Here is why we reprinted "The Great Conspiracy"
toteach political alignments. As if we cared about the Moscow trails forty
yearsthe fact!  For that matter we simply do not care about the Lysenko
Controversyor for that matter the murder of Kirov or the horrible imprisonment
ofMolotov's wife. I have personally have profound feeling about what happened
toMolotov's wife, but I will not cross the line that send one into the camp ofthe
enemy. In America our workers ask one question and one question only:"Which
Side Our You On!"

The only difference between the Trotskyite ideological movements - they are
notpolitical movements because politics deal with the art of people, classes
andmaneuver, and their mother in and as the CPUSA in America is that the
CPUSAbetter understands how to appear on the side of the workers. Both"movements&
quot; are adjuncts of the intelligence communities in America.We are not
going to defeat "intelligence" but they flip because theyare in the last
instance an adjunct of a class rule.

Take the gold and run with it.

But then again, when a cat don't know a cat don't know.

A win column? Nothing was won or could be won until the last phase of
thepolarity exhausted itself !

I call this a Marxist understanding of history but that is not really
truebecause there is no such thing as a "Marxist understanding of history inthe
first place."  All that exist is the materialist conception ofhistory and
the study of ones own peculiarity. Ideological doctrine will helpno one in
this task.

Melvin P.