From Neocon to Panopticon: OK Computer, or, the bourgeois answer to equilibrium problems

Jurriaan Bendien bendien at tomaatnet.nl
Thu Sep 25 10:39:47 MDT 2003

Ever read Foucault's book Discipline and Punish ? Now don't tell me that
books don't have influence, and that ideas don't travel. Check this out:

http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20020104S0044

and this:

http://www.aimglobal.org/technologies/

I already mentioned on PEN-L how the British middle classes want to solve
the problem of pedophilia through tracking paedophiles by means of a
satellite and an implant, but hey, we're all paedophiles now ! Or maybe "we
are all DEVO".

When I was in my teens, we had this cool record by Lou Reed, which featured
a track called satellite of love, it went like this:

Satellite's gone
up to the skies
Thing like that drive me
out of my mind

I watched it for a little while
I like to watch things on TV

Satellite of love
satellite of love
Satellite of love
Sat uh lite of love

Satellite's gone
way up to Mars
Soon it will be filled
with parking cars

I watch it for a little while
I love to watch things on TV

Satellite of love
satellite of love
Satellite of love
Sat uh lite of love

I've been told that you've been bold
with Harry, Mark and John
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday to Thursday
with Harry, Mark and John

Satellite's gone
up to the skies
Thing like that drive me
out of my mind

I watched it for a little while
I love to watch things on TV

Satellite of love
satellite of love
Satellite of love
Sat uh lite of love

A rather prophetic song, if you ask me, although pop musicians are not
usually regarded as prophets (they just make profits for record companies
and themselves).

Jurriaan