Mother of all questions...

clyder at gn.apc.org clyder at gn.apc.org
Sat Sep 27 16:18:35 MDT 2003

Quoting dmschanoes <dmschanoes at earthlink.net>:

> Where I come from, mother is only half a word, and this question "why didn't
> they, the workers rise," belongs more to the field of dreams  (if you build
> a party, they will come) than the field of Marxist analysis because,
>
> well first because they did rise.. in the UK, in France, in Germany, in
> Spain, in the USA. etc.  So in the interests of historical accuracy we might
> at least ask "why didn't they succeed?"

There is a serious question posed by Nestor that this trivialises.
Basically the question is why the workers movement in the developed
countries has with few exceptions been social-democratic and reformist
at best.

The exceptions seem to be limited to states where bourgoeis democracy
was not securely established - Spain in the 30s , Portugal in the 70s.