(Nestor) Re:What is Lüko looking for?

Mike Friedman mikedf at amnh.org
Sat Sep 27 18:30:19 MDT 2003

Hi Nestor,

The answer to your question below (relating to the "guilt" of the European
and North American proletariat and their "leaderships" for not coming to
the aid of the Soviet workers, those of inumerable other revolutions, and
not overthrowing their own bourgeoisies in an opportune manner) is probably
yes and no. Perhaps when a definitive history of the capitalist period is
written, hindsight will allow us to judge ourselves and what we could and
should have or not have done.

In the meantime, it is senseless to "blame" a working class that currently
has no conscious sense of its historic interests and mission. The U.S.
proletariat cannot be said to be a "class for itself." The European
workers, with a more advanced political culture, still don't possess that
sense. Blaming "Western" workers, in that case is something like blaming a
baby for standing by while a mugging takes place. Where we do agree is that
the caps have been able to use the wealth stolen from the colonized world
to suffocate consciousness among the"Western" workering class.
Nevertheless, as David and others like Ernest Mandel (I'm reading something
of his now, so it sticks in my mind) have pointed out,  European workers
have risen, and repeatedly, in the era of imperialism, only to be defeated,
repeatedly.

And here is where we might also agree, in that the "leaders" (and as the
saying goes, "un traidor puede mas que mil valientes...") bear a mighty
responsibility for these defeats as well as the lack of timely responses to
world events. We might agree if you would agree to differentiate among that
amorphous mass you are calling "Marxists" and eschew a certain voluntarism.
Surely you wouldn't put the Eberts in the same company with the
Luxembourgs? And even the most astute and integrated (into the class)
revolutionary leadership can't conjure up an uprising, even in support of
the first proletarian state, if the proper conditions are lacking.

If your main effort, here, is to try to convince comrades in the
imperialist countries to look first at the role played by their "own" in
revolutionary defeats and overthrows, I'm all for that. But, a critical
balance sheet can't exclude an examination of the role of the bureaucracy
in the overthrow in the USSR. Nor the role of the bureaucracy in the
defeats of "Western" revolutions.

Interesting that the same subject came up when I was in Nicaragua in August
during a conversation with my brother-in-law, who was an officer in the
Sandinista military intelligence, and who still considers himself a
Sandinista, although he has become rather bitter. In his view, the defeat
was the result of Sandinista errors, such as problems with the military
service, corruption, orientation to sectors of capital, verticalism, poor
approaches to the campesinos, etc. I argued that these had to be seen in
the context of the U.S. intervention. The reality is that both sets of
phenomena conditioned the overthrow of the FSLN government, and a balance
sheet would have to show not only how Washington played the main role in
overthrowing the Sandinista revolution, but also how Sandinista
contradictions actually weakened Solidarity (such as -- in the name of
diplomatic convenience -- when the FSLN oriented the Mexican solidarity
movement to stop pressuring the Zedillo government to restore oil shipments
to Nicaragua). Of course, in the U.S., the role of a conscious worker was
not to harp on Sandinista deficiencies, but to harp on the U.S.
government's role.

abrazos,
Mike