[Marxism] From the "watch your language" department: Bono not indecent, Trotsky welcomes shoe factory

Jurriaan Bendien bendien at tomaatnet.nl
Thu Apr 1 06:41:58 MST 2004

The Federal Communications Commission has said that Bono's expletive during
the 2003 Golden Globe Awards program was indecent and profane, but issued no
fine. The FCC received hundreds of complaints about the Golden Globes
broadcast after Bono, the lead singer of the Irish rock group U2, said,
``This is really, really, f------ brilliant.'' The enforcement bureau said
last October that Bono's comment was not indecent or obscene, because he did
not use the word to describe a sexual act. ``The performer used the word ...
as an adjective or expletive to emphasize an exclamation,'' the bureau said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uslatest/story/0,1282,-3877341,00.html

To do away radically with abusive speech is not an easy thing, considering
that unrestrained speech has psychological roots and is an outcome of
uncultured surroundings. We certainly welcome the initiative of the shoe
factory, and above all we wish the promoters of the new movement much
perseverance. Psychological habits which come down from generation to
generation and saturate the whole atmosphere of life are very tenacious, and
on the other hand it often happens with us in Russia that we just make a
violent rush forward, strain our forces, and then let things drift in the
old way.

http://www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/works/women/23_05_16.htm