[Marxism] Reply to Ted Glick

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Apr 1 08:02:10 MST 2004

Ted Glick, a long-time leftist in the USA and erstwhile Green candidate
for the Senate from the state of New Jersey, has written a series of
attacks on a 2004 presidential bid by Ralph Nader. A google search on
"Ted Glick" and Nader turned up "Don't Run Like This, Ralph" and "Eight
Questions for Ralph Nader" and other such gems. The latest to show up on
my radar screen was a Znet item that appeared on March 30. Titled "2004
and the Left", it amounts to a recitation of all the arguments that have
been mounted against Ralph Nader running in what Connecticut Green John
Halle called "the establishment progressive media" on LBO-Talk.
(http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=41&ItemID=5243)

It is what Nader himself described as a "liberal virus" in an interview
with the NY Times on March 31:

 >>Ralph Nader knows all the arguments against him. He can recite, word
for importuning word, the letters from old friends urging him not to run
for president -- "all individually written, all stunningly similar" --
and he does so with the theatrical relish of a man whose public life has
been one long, unyielding argument with the world.

"Here's how it started," he said, his soft voice taking on mock
oratorical tones over dinner with a group of aides in Charlotte, N.C.,
last week: "For years, I've thought of you as one of our heroes." He
rolled his eyes. "The achievements you've attained are monumental, in
consumer, environmental, etc., etc." He paused for effect. "But this
time, I must express my profound disappointment at indications that you
are going to run."

"And the more I got of these," Mr. Nader said, "the more I realized that
we are confronting a virus, a liberal virus. And the characteristic of a
virus is when it takes hold of the individual, it's the same virus,
individual letters all written in uncannily the same sequence. Here's
another characteristic of the virus: Not one I can recall ever said,
'What are your arguments for running?'"<<

Although Glick doesn't position himself as an ABB type exactly, he
certainly is willing to serve as their attorney. Mostly his article
seems anxious to demonstrate that George W. Bush is the Greater Evil and
to belittle anybody who doesn't see things that way.

He was "surprised" to hear Peter Camejo saying at a NYC meeting on March
28th that "Kerry will be able to do what Bush wants to do better." Since
I don't have Camejo's full text in front of me, it is difficult to
figure out what he was really trying to say. I do know that Camejo could
hardly have been accused of failing to distinguish between Democrats and
Republicans since he was highly deferential to Lt. Gov. Cruz Bustamante
in the recent recall election in California--so much so that his
ultraleft critics viewed him as selling out to the Democrats. My guess
is that Camejo was saying that there will be no Congressional opposition
to Kerry following through on his promise to double the number of troops
in Iraq if elected President, but who knows without the proper
documentation.

Glick is basically mounting a false polemic. He characterizes radicals
in the Debs and Malcolm X tradition as having the same outlook as
expressed in George Wallace's pithy observation that "there's not a
dime's worth of difference between the two parties". In reality, this is
not our view at all. If there were not substantive differences between
the two parties, the system would collapse. For example, if at the next
convention the Democrats announced that they were adopting a program of
opposition to abortion rights and affirmative action, etc., the Green
Party would begin to grow like wildfire. The only that the Democrats can
retain the allegiance of leftwing activists who identify with the Nation
Magazine or who operate in the Committees of Correspondence milieu is by
taking such better positions (just as long as they don't seriously
attack corporate profits). With the support of the leftwing, the
Democrats are in a better position to assist the Republicans in their
reactionary attacks as well as coming up with their own initiatives such
as abolishing aid to dependent children or bombing Yugoslavia for 76
days straight.

Glick urges the left to be mindful of the needs of our friends in the
Democratic Party: "We need to maintain our connections with those with
whom we share generally similar positions on the issues (as in the
Kucinich and Sharpton campaigns). Over time, if we do our first two
tasks well, there will be an increasing number of Democrats who become
former Democrats as they come over to our side." In other words, if we
play nice with them, they will play nice with us.

This is not a Democratic Party that I am very familiar with. Even after
Matt Gonzalez endorsed Dennis Kucinich for President (a mistake in my
opinion), the Democrats ganged up on Gonzalez in bare-knuckles fashion.
Viewing a Gonzalez victory as a potential blow to the class interests of
real estate developers, investors and law firms in San Francisco, they
brought in Bill Clinton and Al Gore to rally support for Gavin Newsom
who supported Bush in 2000. This is not to speak of all the DP efforts
to put obstacles in the path of the Green Party getting on the ballot in
local races around the country.

Finally, Glick urges the left to rally around the presidential bid of
Green Party leader David Cobb who promises a "strategic states"
campaign. This is a promise that the Greens will not be on the ballot in
hotly contested states, where votes for a Green might work against a
Kerry victory. This promise is meant to assuage all the angry Democrats
who blamed Nader for Bush's victory in 2000. Of course, they fail to
acknowledge the real problem, which was the lackluster, centrist
campaign of Al Gore, now being repeated by John Kerry. Kerry has just
announced that Roger Altman and Gene Sperling, two Clintonistas, will be
responsible for formulating his economic policy, which will include
corporate tax cuts as a centerpiece. He has also been curiously quiet on
Richard Clarke's revelations. In 2000, if Gore had simply won in his
home state of Tennessee and in Arkansas, the home state of Bill Clinton,
he would have been elected president. The blame, to paraphrase William
Shakespeare, is not in Ralph Nader but in themselves.

Right now, the Green Party future is questionable. As long as the
majority of the party continues to see itself as on the side of the
Democrats against the Republicans, and making decisions about where and
when to run candidates on that basis, it has no future. The history of
American politics is strewn with the wreckage of 3rd parties that took
that tack.

The fundamental problem of the Green Party is *class*. With so many of
its members and leaders ensconced in middle class professions,
shopkeeping, nonprofits, etc., it will be susceptible to the mood swings
of brethren Democrats in that same social milieu of NPR listeners,
Sierra Club donators and Ben and Jerry's eaters. Sooner or later, the
working class in the USA will be impelled to forge its own electoral
instrument as well as its own forms of non-electoral struggle. When that
day arrives, the last thing they will have on their mind is mollifying
the Democratic Party.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org