[Marxism] AMERICANS MUTILATED

Tony Abdo gojack10 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 1 23:03:28 MST 2004

AMERICANS MUTILATED screams the headline in a local paper. Could this be
part of a US government effort to recreate the sense of outrage that
Americans had over the seizure of Iranian hostages some 2 decades+ years go?
   And could the timing have anything to do with this story now coming out?

Tony Abdo
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Published on Friday, April 2, 2004 by the lndependent/UK
'I Saw Papers That Show US Knew al-Qa'ida Would Attack Cities With
Airplanes'
Whistleblower the White House wants to silence speaks to The Independent
by Andrew Buncombe in Washington

A former translator for the FBI with top-secret security clearance says she
has provided information to the panel investigating the 11 September attacks
which proves senior officials knew of al-Qa'ida's plans to attack the US
with aircraft months before the strikes happened.

Whistleblower Sibel Edmonds [CBS]
She said the claim by the National Security Adviser, Condoleezza Rice, that
there was no such information was "an outrageous lie".

Sibel Edmonds said she spent more than three hours in a closed session with
the commission's investigators providing information that was circulating
within the FBI in the spring and summer of 2001 suggesting that an attack
using aircraft was just months away and the terrorists were in place. The
Bush administration, meanwhile, has sought to silence her and has obtained a
gagging order from a court by citing the rarely used "state secrets
privilege".

She told The Independent yesterday: "I gave [the commission] details of
specific investigation files, the specific dates, specific target
information, specific managers in charge of the investigation. I gave them
everything so that they could go back and follow up. This is not hearsay.
These are things that are documented. These things can be established very
easily."

She added: "There was general information about the time-frame, about
methods to be used ­ but not specifically about how they would be used ­ and
about people being in place and who was ordering these sorts of terror
attacks. There were other cities that were mentioned. Major cities ­ with
skyscrapers."

The accusations from Mrs Edmonds, 33, a Turkish-American who speaks
Azerbaijani, Farsi, Turkish and English, will reignite the controversy over
whether the administration ignored warnings about al-Qa'ida. That
controversy was sparked most recently by Richard Clarke, a former
counter-terrorism official, who has accused the administration of ignoring
his warnings.

The issue ­ what the administration knew and when ­ is central to the
investigation by the 9/11 Commission, which has been hearing testimony in
public and private from government officials, intelligence officials and
secret sources. Earlier this week, the White House made a U-turn when it
said that Ms Rice would appear in public before the commission to answer
questions. Mr Bush and his deputy, Dick Cheney, will also be questioned in a
closed-door session.

Mrs Edmonds, 33, says she gave her evidence to the commission in a specially
constructed "secure" room at its offices in Washington on 11 February. She
was hired as a translator for the FBI's Washington field office on 13
September 2001, just two days after the al-Qa'ida attacks. Her job was to
translate documents and recordings from FBI wire-taps.

She said said it was clear there was sufficient information during the
spring and summer of 2001 to indicate terrorists were planning an attack.
"Most of what I told the commission ­ 90 per cent of it ­ related to the
investigations that I was involved in or just from working in the
department. Two hundred translators side by side, you get to see and hear a
lot of other things as well."

"President Bush said they had no specific information about 11 September and
that is accurate but only because he said 11 September," she said. There
was, however, general information about the use of airplanes and that an
attack was just months away.

To try to refute Mr Clarke's accusations, Ms Rice said the administration
did take steps to counter al-Qa'ida. But in an opinion piece in The
Washington Post on 22 March, Ms Rice wrote: "Despite what some have
suggested, we received no intelligence that terrorists were preparing to
attack the homeland using airplanes as missiles, though some analysts
speculated that terrorists might hijack planes to try and free US-held
terrorists."

Mrs Edmonds said that by using the word "we", Ms Rice told an "outrageous
lie". She said: "Rice says 'we' not 'I'. That would include all people from
the FBI, the CIA and DIA [Defense Intelligence Agency]. I am saying that is
impossible."

It is impossible at this stage to verify Mrs Edmonds' claims. However, some
senior US senators testified to her credibility in 2002 when she went public
with separate allegations relating to alleged incompetence and corruption
within the FBI's translation department.

© 2004 Independent Digital (UK) Ltd

Get reliable access on MSN 9 Dial-up. 3 months for the price of 1!
(Limited-time offer)