[Marxism] Left Hook Latest Release Online

M. Junaid Alam junaidalam at msalam.net
Fri Apr 2 09:46:27 MST 2004

http://www.lefthook.org

Last Release: Friday, April 2, 2004

Hegemony and Exceptionalism: How US Foreign Policy Created the Most
Powerful Country in the World

| David Gonzales |

America's role in the stability of globalisation reached a new level
when in 1990 President George H. W. Bush declared the "new world order."
His political rhetoric symbolized a) a notion of progress in United
States history; b) a proclamation of American success in the battle
against worldwide communism; and c) the global parameters by which
America would now dictate its expansion. But the language also invoked
something much older; an implication that America was embarking on a
journey, bringing with it the terms of peace and prosperity that have
been idolized in the United States since its conception.

- (Read full) - http://lefthook.org/History/Gonzales040104.html

Youth Report from occupied Iraq: "We don't want the Army USA"

| Khuri Petersen-Smith |

 From Amman, we had a 13-hour drive to Baghdad, since no commercial
airlines are flying into Iraq. On the road, our driver Tareq told us of
the frustration and anger that he and other Iraqis feel toward the U.S.
occupation of their country. Like many other Iraqis I would meet, Tareq
initially felt hopeful that the U.S. invasion and overthrow of Saddam
Hussein's regime would bring an end to years of war and suffering.

Since the invasion--in which one of Tareq's brothers was killed--he has
become bitter and angry as the U.S. failed to reconstruct the
infrastructure, bring work, provide stable access to electricity or
clean water, or create any security for Iraqis. Tareq told me that he
and other Iraqis "just want to live."

- (Read full)

Chasing Out Israeli Arrogance: Victory At Simon Fraser University

| Macdonald Stainsby |

On March 15, 2004 Vancouver dealt a minor but important blow against
racism and colonialism on Simon Fraser University campus. Mr. Ya'acov
Brosh, an Israeli Consul General, was slated to give a speech to a small
group of Zionists and supporters at an event held by student groups
Hillel and the Israel Advocacy Committee beginning at 1:30pm.

For those of us in the audience who had never been through the daily
humiliation that people in Palestine endure, we were treated to a
checkpoint at the entrance door, having to open up our coats, where each
person had their bags checked through by police who were there to
protect the diplomat of the settler-state. Once inside, the final
checkpoint was where the front row was reserved, to quote, "for Jews only".

- (Read full) - http://lefthook.org/Ground/IraqReport.html

Digital Artwork: Chaining Palestine

| M. Junaid Alam |

[see image here]