[Marxism] Define the "Left"?

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Fri Apr 2 14:31:58 MST 2004

Jim's categorizations are very good, but we might be a bit fuzzier in
the particulars.  I think someone is on the Left if they are engaged in
a struggle around one or more of these issues that has an anticapitalist
dynamic, but I don't see being consciously anticapitalist themselves as
a requirement to be on the Left.  Advocacy of radical change is more
important than having any answers (even on the big questions about to go
about it.

There could certainly be oppressed people who are fighters across many
fronts and still line up like sheep for the shearing on election day,
no?

Solidaridad!
Mark L.

PS: This is potentially a very fruitful discussion, btw...with some real
practical implications.