[Marxism] Norman Finkelstein

David Quarter davidquarter at sympatico.ca
Sat Apr 3 17:59:42 MST 2004

From:           	Jim Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com>

> On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 19:25:03 -0500 "David Quarter"
> <davidquarter at sympatico.ca> writes:
> >
> >  I like Finkelstein a lot. But, Human Rights Watch neutral?
>
> No, I don't think they are, but I think there are some good
> reasons why Finkelstein might choose to rely upon them.

 I wasn't implying that you were. I was  pointing to Finkelstein. See
my comments below:

> >Since
> > when. Consider the "who's who" of U.S. imperialism that makes up
> > the hierarchy of that organization. Also consider some of the nasty
> > positions they've taken on the issue of Yugoslavia, for example,
> > claiming the U.S. led bombing spree was 'not a war crime' and the
> > fact that they equate Palestinian suicide bombers with Israeli
> > directed state terrorism.
> >
> > http://www.hrw.org/reports/2002/isrl-pa/
> >
> > Hardly neutral, I would say. They takes stances, although it so
> > happens that they also highlight what are obviously blatant
> > violations of human rights by client states or allies of U.S.
> > imperialism. They even occasionally come down hard on the U.S.,
> > although so does, at times, Kofi Annan. And what does that tell
> > you?
> >
> > IMO They are front for imperialism...
>
> And yet those very reasons,they are a
> useful source of information for Finkelstein.  Precisely
> because they are stacked in favor of imperialism,
> information from them concerning Israeli atrocities
> or other human rights violations will come across
> to people as being especially damning. Why do
> you think that people like Chomsky or Finkelstein
> like to cite works by Zionist scholars?  The reason
> is simple; charges that Israel has engaged in
> practices such as systematic
> ethnic cleansing etc., appear more credible when
> you can cite the writings of respected Zionist
> scholars to back them up.  Thats Polemics 101.

 I know and I agree. Yet Finkelstein might have mentioned this
instead of calling them neutral. Maybe he just didn't feel it was
warranted for that discussion, or forgot, or the nerves of being in
front of an audience made him slip (I'm sure even he gets nervous)?

Who knows.

I just thought it was relevant to mention this.

DOQ