[Marxism] Israeli troops seek to erase memory of Rachel Corrie

Macdonald Stainsby mstainsby at resist.ca
Sun Apr 4 12:24:17 MDT 2004

Israeli troops seek to erase memory of Rachel Corrie
April 3, 2004

http://www.palestinemonitor.org/updates/erase_memory_rachel_corrie.htm

Early this week four Israeli jeeps, 16 tanks and two bulldozers invaded
the highly populated area in the Al-Salam neighborhood in the city of
Rafah, along the Egyptian border of the Gaza Strip, an area constantly
under continuous firing.

They headed straight towards Dr. Samir Nasrallah's home, the very house
Rachel Corrie died in front of a year ago while trying to prevent its
destruction. Corrie was the 23-year-old American peace activist from
Olympia, USA, killed by an Israeli army bulldozer which ran over her
while nonviolently trying to prevent the demolition of yet another
Palestinian house in the city of Rafah. Corrie and other pro-Palestinian
activists based in Rafah had frequently spent the night in Nasrallah's
house, acting as human shields against the Israeli tanks and bulldozers
clearing a security zone around the border.

For a while Nasrallah's abode had stood alone in a sea of sand and
debris. Almost every other structure in the area has been knocked down
in recent months.

Dr. Nasrallah, a Palestinian pharmacist, lived in the house with his
wife and children. " When I returned to the site of my house I was in
shock: they not only demolished the house, but all the rubble and dust
were totally removed and gone..". In this operation also some trees were
uprooted and the surrounding landscape was totally razed.

Locals are convinced that this targeted demolition took place as one
more attempt to erase the memory of crucial events that took place in
the area and to cover the crime of the assassination of Rachel Corrie,
since the place used to attract many journalists and members of various
solidarity groups and activists, who would visit the place and gather
with the family.

http://www.palestinemonitor.org/updates/erase_memory_rachel_corrie.htm
For more information contact: The Palestine Monitor +972 (0)2 298 5372
or see http://www.palestinemonitor.org
--
Macdonald Stainsby