[Marxism] I hope someone actually answers me -- from Brian Shannon

Waistline2 at aol.com Waistline2 at aol.com
Mon Apr 5 12:15:36 MDT 2004

In a message dated 4/5/2004 11:10:29 AM Central Standard Time, lshan at bcn.net
writes:
Walter Lippmann gives lip service to this only to violate it in the next two
sentences:

"Ideas, SHOULD be discussed on their own merits. Thus the
political stance or posture of trying to fashion detailed
tactical prescriptions for others in faraway places needs
to be abandoned. Such discussion is completely ABSTRACT."

I do think that in the world of politics, as in the world of science,
history, sociology, etc., one can have a sound idea even though you may not yourself
be involved or even "practice
what you preach."

Comment.

"A sound idea" is the meaning of abstraction in general. Sound ideas have a
history in which someone at what time or another verified the "truth of the
idea." "Practice what you preach" is a variation of "physican heal thyself" or
the demand for one to verify the soundess of their idea on their own body or in
this case, on the basis of their owbn working class movement.

An idea based on its own merit has no meaning.

We revolutionaries in the imperial centers must be careful, and never forget
who we are and have been. The revolutionaries in the North of the American
Union - especially the dominant political tradition of this listserver, have
generally extracted for themselves the right to criticize earth based on what they
consider to be "sound ideas."

I am not of this tradition and the ideas are in fact not "sound" as I
understand the last fifty years of American history. I find the entire discussion
concerning the SWP as an ideological trend absurd and totally outside of anything
living and vibrant within the working class movement as it evolved in the
post World War II period.

Factional nonsense, divorced from anything living or having any connection
with any section or sector of the working class movement.

Physician heal thyself, as the only material factor to offer "sound ideas."

Melvin P.