[Marxism] Resistance; France & Iraq

Paddy Apling e.c.apling at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 7 02:53:29 MDT 2004

As the attitude and actions of the American forces in Iraq resembles (is
forced by the resistance in Iraq to resemble) the actions of the Nazis in
occupied Paris it seems relevant to tell about a novel (semi-non-fictional)
about the SOE and resistance in France that I have just finished reading:

Early One Morning, Robert Ryan, London:Headline Book Publishing, 2002  ISBN
0 7472 6872 X (hardback); ISBN 0 7553 0093 9 (trade paperback).

The novel is inspired by the lives of the car racing drivers (Bugatti team)
of Robert Benoist and William Grover, and Eve Aubicq, who later became a
judge at the Crufts International Dog Show, and quoted sources include those
of SOE and the British Public Records Office.

As a (nearly) octagenarian, with a fairly extensive network of friends of my
vintage in France) I am impressed by the author's understanding of the
social and political situation in pre-WWII France (including the reason for
the French government and ruling class treachery in 1945, AND the
imperialist, but in 1941-5 enforcedly anti-fascist attitudes of the British
establishment) - and so I can recommend this novel.  [It is well to remember
that even as late as 1959 Jews were refused membership of the premier golf
club at Moor Park, Rickmansworth]. Particularly interesting, politically,
are the final chapters covering the post-1945(partly fictional), but
probably typical, "histories" of both those in the Resistance and the Nazi
occupation force.

Parallels between 1941/5 and 2004/? are vitally importan to understand.
(Churchill - was one of few of his class who realised in 1941 that alliance
with the hated communists of the Soviet Union was vital to the future of
Britain [or rather the British Empire! - so rapdily disintegrated after the
war, by the development of freedom movements in the Empire, AND, probably,
to his surprise at the behest of the USA !!  And yet, at the same time
Churchill was looking ahead to the "war against communism" to follow - as I
recall being so obviously retailed by certain of the staff when I was being
trained at RAC OCTU at Sandhurst in 1944 - only to be"officially" revealed
in his Fulton speech in 1946)

This author seems to have appreciated all the above - and has written a
spell-binding adventure novel involving it all.....

Paddy
NFHS Member #5594
Mailto:e.c.apling at btinternet.com
http://apling.freeservers.com/index.htm