[Marxism] Battles in Iraq Bring Troubles for Bush and Kerry as Well

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Apr 7 21:15:25 MDT 2004

*****   New York Times, April 8, 2004
Battles in Iraq Bring Troubles for Bush and Kerry as Well
By ADAM NAGOURNEY and CARL HULSE

WASHINGTON, April 7 - The surge of violence in Iraq has created vast
political complications for Democrats and Republicans, as President
Bush struggled on Wednesday to address doubts about his foreign
policy and Senator John Kerry sought to challenge the conduct of a
war he voted for two years ago.

The difficulties facing both men were evident throughout the day. As
scenes of violence in Iraq flashed across television screens, Mr.
Bush was mostly out of sight, on his ranch in Crawford, Tex., even as
some of his conservative supporters began expressing concern that Mr.
Bush's Iraq policy could diminish his re-election prospects.

Mr. Kerry was in Washington, pressing ahead with a long-planned major
speech on the issue that he expected to be the centerpiece of the
campaign, the economy. But, faced with repeated questions about his
own views of the war in a series of interviews he had scheduled to
promote his economic plan, Mr. Kerry diverted from his script to
offer some of his strongest criticism yet of Mr. Bush's Iraq policy.
In an interview on Wednesday with American Urban Radio Networks, he
described that policy as "one of the greatest failures of diplomacy
and failures of judgment that I have seen in all the time that I've
been in public life."

Still, even as he attacked Mr. Bush, Mr. Kerry was notably vague in
saying how he would handle the matter as president. His advisers said
he had no plans to offer a policy speech about a war that aides to
Mr. Bush and Mr. Kerry alike said they now expected to provide a
bloody backdrop for the campaign for months.

"Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the
president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to
acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made," Mr. Kerry said on
Wednesday on CNN.

Mr. Kerry ignored two questions shouted to him by reporters at a
meeting he held with economic advisers, about whether he would "take
out" Moktada al-Sadr, the radical Shiite clergyman, a pool report
said.

"You guys coming?" Mr. Kerry said to Robert E. Rubin, the treasury
secretary under President Bill Clinton, as he walked away. . . .

Mr. Kerry's remarks on the deterioration in Iraq reflect the extent
to which he has yet to come up with any proposals to distinguish
himself from Mr. Bush about what might be done there now. His
national security adviser, Rand Beers, said Mr. Kerry would support
an increase in troop strength along the lines that the Pentagon is
now advocating.

Mr. Kerry urged Mr. Bush to abandon his vow to transfer power to a
provisional government on July 1, charging that Mr. Bush was acting
more out of concern with the domestic election calendar than in an
orderly transition of power in Iraq.

"I think the June 30 deadline is a fiction and they never should have
set an arbitrary deadline, which almost clearly has been affected by
the election schedule in the United States of America," he said in a
National Public Radio broadcast.

One of Mr. Kerry's former rivals for the Democratic nomination,
Senator Joseph I. Lieberman of Connecticut, who was an unwavering
supporter of the war, called on Mr. Bush and Mr. Kerry to "reach
common ground on the issue of sending more troops in Iraq." . . .

<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/08/politics/campaign/08POLI.html>   *****
--
Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus: