[Marxism] Forwarded from Tony Abdo (Robert Jensen article)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Apr 8 14:46:56 MDT 2004

(Tony, this was shortened. In the future, just supply the first few
paragraphs and the url.)

Real Hope Is Radical

By Robert Jensen, AlterNet
April 8, 2004

Editor's Note: The following essay is excerpted from Robert Jensen's new
book, Citizens of the Empire: The Struggle to Claim Our Humanity (City
Lights).

After an antiwar talk in which I sharply criticized U.S. foreign policy,
a student asked me, "Don't you find it hard to live being so cynical?"
When I responded that I thought my comments were critical but not
cynical, he asked, "But how can being so critical not make you cynical?"

The student was equating any critique of injustice produced by
institutions and systems of power with cynicism about people. His
question made me realize how easy is cynicism and how difficult is
sustained critique in this culture, which shouldn't surprise us. People
with power are perfectly happy for the population to be cynical, because
that tends to paralyze people and leads to passivity. Those same
powerful people also do their best to derail critique – the process of
working to understand the nature of things around us and offering
judgments about them – because that tends to energize people and leads
to resistance. Understanding the difference between critique and
cynicism – and the difference between hope and optimism – is crucial to
the future of any struggle against injustice.

At this moment in history, those struggles must not only be about trying
to win changes in policies but also about the reinvigoration of public
life – a call for participation, for politics, for radical citizenship
in reactionary times. Radical and reactionary in this sense are not used
to describe specific political positions, left versus right, but instead
describe an approach not just to politics, narrowly defined, but to the
central questions of what it means to be a human being in connection
with others. The world we live in is reactionary because it is trying to
squeeze those important human dimensions out of us in the political
sphere and constrict the range of discussion so much that politics does
seem to many to be useless. To resist that one must be radical, be
political and be radical in public politically.

To explain this I will describe my own journey from cynicism to hope, my
own struggle both for greater understanding of myself and an
understanding of something greater than me. This requires talking of
love and justice, which means taking a small risk that I will be seen as
naive or self-indulgent or just plain silly. But here we should recall
one of Che Guevara's most memorable thoughts: "At the risk of sounding
ridiculous let me say that a revolutionary is guided by great feelings
of love."

full: http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=18362

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org