[Marxism] Situation in Iraq according to BBC

Johannes Schneider johannes.schneider at gmx.net
Fri Apr 9 04:59:54 MDT 2004

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 06:46:47 -0400, David Quarter
<davidquarter at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Now apparently II Duce Bremmer has "declared a ceasefire" in Fallujah,
> obstensibly to allow "aid" to come into the area, although I imagine the
> real intention is to in the short term neutralize one sector of the
> resistance until the point in which the rest of the country has been
> again "pacified" and then to resume the killing spree in Fallujah:
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3613299.stm

Aljazeera reports the US attacks are going on in Fallujah:

"US attack belies Bremer's Falluja 'truce'

Friday 09 April 2004, 13:33 Makka Time, 10:33 GMT

US occupation forces have bombed the Iraqi city of Falluja belying
administrator Paul Bremer's announcement that his forces were suspending
military operations in the town. "As of noon today coalition forces have
initiated a unilateral suspension of offensive operations in Falluja," Paul
Bremer told reporters on Friday. But, the US-led occupation's deputy
director of operations, Brigadier General Mark Kimmitt, denied the reports
of a ceasefire. Minutes after Bremer's announcement, US forces carried out
a fresh offensive on Falluja bombing the town from the air. Scores of
residents were injured in the attack, reported our correspondent.
"There is no brokered agreement for a ceasefire in Falluja," Kimmitt told
AFP. "There is no agreement between the rebels and the coalition forces."

Full:
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/C1FC177A-9A9F-4933-9F33-
73CD512990A0.htm