[Marxism] Marching on Karbala

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at rogers.com
Sat Apr 10 13:25:08 MDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: <g.maclennan at qut.edu.au>
To: "Activists and scholars in Marxist tradition"
<marxism at lists.econ.utah.edu>
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2004 10:33 AM
Subject: Re: [Marxism] Marching on Karbala

Gary M wrote:

> Wilkinson is something of a leftie is she not? I think it is
> almost impossible to figure out why the US forces attacked Al
> Sadr.  I noticed the renegade David Aaronovitz had come up
> with the same explanation as myself  - that they had got the
> go ahead from As Sistani's camp.  Who knows?
>
> There is also of course the stupidity factor.  Bremer and co
> might simply be as incompetent and dumb as we say they are.

Bush, for sure; the people who run him gambled and miscalculated that Sadr
and Fajulla were both isolated enough to eliminate. I don't think the depth
and breadth of the uprising could have been foreseen with certainty by
anyone. That's probably why, as you say, Sistani, Hakim et al must have
given the nod, although everyone is now disowning the crackdown, including
Pachachi, the State department favourite. Wonder where the Badr brigades are
in all this? They could be really discredited if, as I suspect, they're on
the sidelines. The CPI, given its history, could have taken the lead in this
national liberation struggle if if hadn't compromised itself on the
Governing Council.

> Perhaps more interesting is the divergence between the
> political and the military wings of the occupation.  The US
> army is winning in Fallujah with the resistance casualites
> running into the hundreds compared with comparatively few
> casualties for the Marines.
>
> But politically one cannot understimate how big a defeat this
> is for Bush & Co. Hence the disagreements around the quesiton
> of the truce.  the military oppose it and the politicians
> need it.

It's a huge political defeat; hence the frequent allusions to Tet. I think
the major change in the situation is that before the uprising, the US had
some assurance it could keep its military indefinitely in Iraq, and only
have to deal with a localized insurrection. That's all been called into
question, as has the issue of other national contingents under UN or NATO
flags. After Falluja especially, you have to believe a huge majority wants
the US troops out asap, and will keep fighting till this is accomplished.
The political balance has really changed.

> The whole Arab world is being inspired by the courage and the
> resistance in Fallujah.  Moreover unity is being forged in
> battle and everyone can see that what the imperialists fear
> more than anything else is Arab unity.

A report in the NY Times or Wash Post ystdy said the Arab leaderships are
very anxious about that, and the the Israelis are also. The Iranians should
be breathing easier, even though the neocon diehards are trying to blame the
rising on them.

MG