[Marxism] ILWU leadership and Thomas (Re: An informative piece bymyson, Ali),

Mine Doyran mine.doyran at verizon.net
Sat Apr 10 22:15:08 MDT 2004

David, if you pay close attention, I was talking about Clarence Thomas, the
Treasury-Secretary of the ILWU--  a person cited in the article as some kind
of a radical. This information is simply *inaccurate*. Thomas is a social
democrat at best-- a figure of class reconcilation. He might have done some
good things in the past. Yet what he said to workers during the strike ("the
reality of the situation is that we have to do it," i.e., load war
materiel") is a clear example of opportunitism.You may not agree with it,
but that is the reality of what he said.

Further, I was NOT saying anything about the union itself. By contrast, I am
raising the issue of "what needs to be done" to get more mobilization
against imperialist warfare and related issues, without being caught by
domestic Keynesian pretentions. That needed to be clearly raised in the
article.. It does not help if a union organizer tells workers to continue
"to work the military cargo so that the government couldn't get on our case
about that."

I was also NOT  talking about-whether "the radicalization needed for real
hot-cargoing war goods is not  there." I think that the radical POTENTIAL is
there, except that it needs to be unfolded, with a full realization of the
prospects and obstacles to class organizing. Whatever the problems with the
Internationalist magazine (ultra-left wingism secterianism,spartacism, btw),
it did a fair job of exposing Thomas. I think that we need to be aware of
such figures.

The article is ok but it really needs an "understanding" of political
economy. It is good a descriptive analysis of social movements. It needs to
be expanded, however. What is the state of class organizing in the U.S.?
What are the issues at stake? What are obstacle to its full realization?
What is the relationship between national and international organizing,
domestic-international class dynamics, as it relates to cargo shipping,
nationalism, war etc...These questions were left unanswered (which I was not
expecting to be answered in the Counterpunch anyhow) I was simply correcting
a misinformation about ILWU leadership.

best,

Mine A. Doyran
Doctoral Candidate
Department of Political Science
Nelson A. Rockefeller College of Public Affairs and Policy
University at Albany, S.U.N.Y.
135 Western Avenue, Milne Hall
Albany, NY 12222
mine.doyran at verizon.net
"A revolutionary career does not lead to banquets and honorary titles,
interesting research and professorial wages. It leads to misery, disgrace,
ingratitude, prison and a voyage into the unknown, illuminated by only an
almost superhuman belief."   Max Horkheimer