[Marxism] ILWU leadership and Clarence Thomas???

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 11 06:57:34 MDT 2004

Clarence Thomas is NOT the secretary-treasurer of the ILWU,
but it the ILWS meeting was good, judging from this report:
http://www.nbc11.com/news/2984770/detail.html

Walter Lippmann

MINE DOYRAN writes:
"Clarence Thomas, the Treasury-Secretary of the ILWU."?

David, if you pay close attention, I was talking about
Clarence Thomas, the Treasury-Secretary of the ILWU-- a
person cited in the article as some kind of a radical.
This information is simply *inaccurate*. Thomas is a
social democrat at best-- a figure of class reconcilation.
He might have done some good things in the past. Yet what
he said to workers during the strike ("the reality of
the situation is that we have to do it," i.e., load war
materiel") is a clear example of opportunitism.You may not
agree with it, but that is the reality of what he said.
Mine A. Doyran
Doctoral Candidate
Department of Political Science
Nelson A. Rockefeller College of Public Affairs and Policy
University at Albany, S.U.N.Y.
135 Western Avenue, Milne Hall
Albany, NY 12222
mine.doyran at verizon.net
"A revolutionary career does not lead to banquets and honorary titles,
interesting research and professorial wages. It leads to misery, disgrace,
ingratitude, prison and a voyage into the unknown, illuminated by only an
almost superhuman belief."   Max Horkheimer