[Marxism] Kerry Heckled for Opposing Withdrawal of US Troops

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Apr 14 18:53:06 MDT 2004

*****   Posted on Wed, Apr. 14, 2004
Kerry Faults Bush on Iraq, Draws Heckler
MIKE GLOVER
Associated Press

NEW YORK - Democrat John Kerry faulted President Bush for a
unilateral approach toward Iraq that has created greater dangers for
the U.S. military, but the presidential candidate was heckled
Wednesday for failing to back the immediate withdrawal of American
forces.

"We shouldn't only be tough, we have to be smart. And there's a
smarter way to accomplish this mission than this president is
pursuing," the four-term Massachusetts senator told reporters at City
College of New York following an education event.

Kerry backed the 2002 congressional resolution authorizing the
president to use force in Iraq, but since then has been harshly
critical of Bush's foreign policy. Maintaining his support for the
military operation while challenging the Republican incumbent - and
appealing to the Democratic base - has proven to be a tough dilemma
for Kerry, evident by Wednesday's events.

During a question-and-answer session with the audience, retired
college professor Walter Daum angrily accused Kerry of backing an
imperialist policy in Iraq and called on the candidate to demand the
immediate withdrawal of U.S. troops.

"You voted for this," Daum shouted. As he spoke, a group stood
silently and unfurled a large sign that read, "Kerry take a stand:
Troops out now."

"You're not listening," an exasperated Kerry said at one point.

Later, speaking with reporters, Kerry dismissed the notion of
withdrawing American forces and indicated that if U.S. generals and
other senior officials say they need more troops, he would back such
a move. Bush at his news conference Tuesday night said he would
support an increase in the military presence in Iraq.

"I think the vast majority of the American people understand that
it's important to not just cut and run," Kerry said. "I don't believe
in a cut-and-run philosophy." . . .

. . . [T]he increasing violence in Iraq and Bush's response remained
front and center for the president's Democratic rival, who argued for
a full partnership with the United Nations, stressed the importance
of stability in Iraq and complained about Bush's strategy creating an
undue burden for Americans.

"The president made clear what we all share, which is a sense that
the United States of America is going to be resolute and tough and
make certain that we accomplish our mission," Kerry said.

Other nations share the U.S. goal of stability in Iraq and, if
elected president, Kerry said he would use his powers of persuasion
to convince them that their interests demand they share in the effort.

"Our soldiers are bearing the brunt of this operation," Kerry said.
"Our military is to some degree overextended. American soldiers are
bearing the huge majority, the lion's share of this." . . .

Associated Press Writer Sam Hananel in Washington contributed to this report.

<http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/politics/8432219.htm?1c>
*****
--
Yoshie