[Marxism] The Militant:

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 16 11:47:21 MDT 2004

I'll leave the political points to others, but I just want to take note of
this paragraph:

>Similarly, the tactic of taking foreigners hostage to press the  occupiers
>to withdraw their troops has backfired on the groups that  have carried out
>those actions. To date, the Japanese and other  imperialist governments
>involved have firmed up their resolve to stay  in Iraq alongside the U.S.
>Army

This is complete nonsense. Merely because the Japanese (and British and
Italian and other) governments SAY that they have "firmed up their resolve
to stay" doesn't mean they HAVE firmed up their resolve; the reality is
likely quite different. And even the verbal resolve not to pull their troops
out of Iraq doesn't extend to all the members of the "coalition"; the Thai
government has ordered its troops not to leave their base, and the Polish
Prime Minister says they are making plans to decrease the number of their
troops (see
http://lefti.blogspot.com/2004_04_01_lefti_archive.html#108195916005364506
for links).

And regardless of what the governments have said or done about their troops,
the REALITY is that independent contractors of various nationalities are
currently streaming out of Iraq, fearing for their lives. This certainly
suggests that the "tactic of taking foreigners hostage" has not "backfired."
The fewer foreign "civilians" there are in Iraq doing various jobs, the
harder the jobs of the "coalition" troops becomes. Once they have to start
driving their own convoys, or cooking their own food, there will be that
many fewer of them available to shoot at Iraqis.