[Marxism] Latest Left Hook Edition Online [including Iraq analysis]

M. Junaid Alam junaidalam at msalam.net
Sat Apr 17 12:32:57 MDT 2004

www.lefthook.org

Left Hook

Last Release: Saturday, April 17, 2004

We Are the Barbarians: Consequences of Colonialism in Iraq

| M. Junaid Alam |

Jaw agape and fangs unsheathed, American colonialism has lashed out with
severe brutality against the newly-unified Iraqi resistance, counting on
its military might to crush the aspirations of Iraqis who seek to
liberate their country from foreign control. Relying so heavily on the
force of arms against a people it claims to liberate, the US has
inverted Clausewitz's famous dictum "politics is a continuation of war
by other means"; our policy now is war as a continuation of politics by
other means.

But it so happens that this is a double-edged sword - with both edges
thrust firmly into the heart of the occupation.

- http://lefthook.org/Politics/Alam041704.html (Read full)

Bay Areas Grocery Workers Fight for the Future of American Healthcare

| Javier Armas |

"UF-C-Double U! Safeway, we're coming through!" chanted hundreds of UFCW
members and officials at a meeting held on March 14 at the ILWU Local 10
Hall in San Francisco. This meeting was the first step taken by the Bay
Area UFCW locals to prepare for the coming expiration of their contracts
that could lead to a strike this fall. Watching the Southern California
strike and the lockout unfold last October, nine locals formed the Bay
Area Coalition--the organization that engineered the March event. This
UFCW meeting was attended by 400 to 1200 (depending on the observer).

The Coalition represents nearly 50,000 workers at Safeway, Albertsons,
Ralphs, Cala, Raley's, Andronicos, and several other independent Bay
Area stores. Eight of these locals (101, 120, 1179, 373R, 428, 648, 839
and 870) share a master contract that expires September 11, 2004. The
ILWU drill team entered the meeting in marching formation unleashing a
fresh energy that resonated with the hundreds of clerks and grocery
workers present.

- http://lefthook.org/Ground/Armas041704.html (Read full)

The Impact of Cars on Society

| Yves Engler |

A couple months back I came across a phenomenal statistic; there are
1.02 cars in the U.S. for every person of driving age. (1) The New York
Times confirmed this in an article that said there are 230 million cars
and trucks in the U.S. and only 193 million licensed drivers. (2)

Surely it's more cost effective to call a cab when a breakdown occurs
rather than having a backup vehicle? Or have the robots learned to drive?

But in all seriousness, car prevalence has, to put it mildly, many
drawbacks. It also contributes significantly to shaping a country and
says something about a society.

- http://www.lefthook.org/Culture/Engler041704.html (Read full)

Eight Hours: A Poem

| Ian Werkheiser |

Hold, release
Hold, release
Things that seemed without effort
A vice tightening with each repetition
Hold, release
Hold, release
There are only twenty incubators, they said
Sanctions and bombing had reduced us to only this, they said
Hold, release
Hold, release
You held your nephew in your arms, struggling to breathe on his own
Trying so hard.
They told you one would be available. A promise.
Hold, release

- http://www.lefthook.org/Culture/Werkheiser041704.html (Read full)