[Marxism] $2,150 Per Family and Counting

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Apr 17 17:03:10 MDT 2004

*****   April 16 / 18, 2004
$2,150 Per Family and Counting
Paying for War

By DAVE LINDORFF

Sitting here working on my taxes at the last minute, after having
just watched President Bush's appalling performance at his only press
conference of 2004, and having just read about the plans for an
all-out Marine assault on Fallujah and Najaf if truce negotiations
break down, I found myself wondering how much of my taxes were going
to support the Iraq atrocity.

A call to Bob McIntyre of Citizens for Tax Justice gave me the
answer. About 25 percent of my income tax payment. Of course, that's
a rough estimate, based upon the prediction that this year's income
tax will bring in $765 billion in revenues, and that the Iraq war is
costing almost $200 billion for the year.

That's something to think about as you're mailing your envelope to
the IRS tonight. For a typical family with a taxable income of
$60,000, and a typical tax bill of $8626, that works out to an Iraq
War tax bill of about $2150. For a family making $100,000 in taxable
income, with a typical tax bill of $18,614, that is a war tax of
about $4650. Even a student making a taxable income of say $7000, and
paying a tax of around $700 to Uncle Sam is paying around $175 to
support the killing in Iraq.

Oh, but that's not all. If you're one of those who pays your taxes on
line, you should also remember that the federal tax you pay on the
phone line you use for your dial-up or DSL service is, and always has
been a war tax, pure and simple. Lyndon Johnson, trying to come up
with ways to pay for his own war, hit on the idea of the federal
phone tax which, once instituted, has remained with us ever since,
funding Pentagon extravagance and now, Bush's war.

If that information doesn't get your blood boiling, you should go
check the Citizens for Tax Justice website (www.ctj.org) and check
out how much you're actually saving from Bush's trillion-dollar tax
cut plan for the rich.

According to CPJ, if you're in the group of taxpayers who's family
income is in the range of about $36,000, you'll be saving about $827
this year. That may sound like a nice piece of change, but it pales
to insignificance when compared to the family in the big McMansion
down the road that has an income of $200,000 and that's seeing their
tax bill drop by $6800 this year. Go figure. If it were even
moderately fair, that tax break of $827 you're getting should be no
more than six times as great for someone earning six times as much as
you, or about $4900. And for the family earning $1 million, assuming
they're really paying their taxes, their Bush savings is over
$52,000. Over the full 10 years of these tax cuts, the picture gets
even more outrageous. The folks earning that puny $36,000 in taxable
income will save a total of $6500, while the $200,000 family will net
almost $90,000 and the millionaires will save a whopping $665,000!
It's really another way of pointing out who's really paying for this
war, when you come right down to it. The wealthy don't only get to
avoid the fighting and dying. They also get to avoid having to pay
for it in Bush's America.

I'd go into this some more, but as it is, I'm probably going to be
racing down to the Philadelphia main post office tonight to file my
taxes before midnight.

<http://www.counterpunch.org/lindorff04162004.html>   *****
--
Yoshie