[Marxism] Re: One Gay person's view on the SWP Problem

Waistline2 at aol.com Waistline2 at aol.com
Sun Apr 18 04:13:30 MDT 2004

In a message dated 4/17/2004 3:25:34 PM Central Standard Time,
causecollector at msn.com writes:

>Who really wants Gays and Lesbians to organize and get empowerment and take
away from hetero privileges - and make non-Gays and Gays and Lesbians really
equal?  Interesting isn't it, that supposed revolutionaries, who want hetero
privilege, seem to think and act in common when it comes to such things, just
like George W. Bush and other religious fundamentalists?

Gays and Lesbians and non-Gays, who speak out against Robert Mugabe of
Zimbabwe, Fidel Castro of Cuba and the shameless tailism and courting of "militant
Islam" - rather than remain silent - become part of the solution and not remain
part of the problem.  What is wrong  comrades - is not separating between
needing to win people over in motion to support Gay & Lesbian liberation - but
for refusing - not to raise this "for offending bigoted thinking".  [The "People
may think I am Gay - if I speak up on this" syndrome]

Uppity Women and Gays will have to wait in their place - as the "more
important people" [read those who prefer exclusive non-Gay male rule/leadership] -
decide the character, composition and membership and leadership of the
revolution.<

Comment

I found this article - personal commentary, to be distrubing in its politics
and sense of history. Fidel is lumped together with Mugabe, which is part of a
political alignment, intersecting with the reactionary fundamentalists and
guardians of bourgeois property on the basis of ones attitude towards
homosexuality and homosexual rights, however one defines that.

Revolutionaries - Marxists, unwilling to criticize the government of Cuba on
the basis of its policy towards homosexuals, apparently enter alignment with
our imperialist bourgeoisie as represented by George Bush. Perhaps, what was
meant was "Ideological alignment" and not economic and political alignment with
bourgeois property. The real political antagonism in American society is not
between heterosexuals and homosexuals as such, or revolving on the basis of
heterosexuals wanting to preserve their "privilege position" as it exists in
relationship to homosexuals.

I did not evolve from the political tradition of Trotskyism, which views
everything on earth from the standpoint of Stalin and Stalinism. Nevertheless, if
I were writing an article about the leadership of various political grouping I
would most certainly not describe say the SWP from the standpoint of
ideological politics, but first and foremost as these groups arose based on the
history and formation of our working class, what sectors of the working class was in
motion at any given period of our history and how these groups responded to
the real social movement and its ideological forms. This includes attitudes
towards sex, which first and foremost means women.

At one point in the history of the American Union, Marxism was primarily the
domain of the European immigrant workers, and this has everything to do with
the formation of our working class. During another period of our history the
Slavic workers played a fundamental role in the fight for industrial unionism.
During another people of our history the assertion of the African American
people played a fundamental role and further altered the political landscape that
political groups respond to.

The Woman factor or question is the preeminent gender question in American
society and on earth. It is the fundamental social gage of any society for
specific reasons. For many reasons revolutionaries in the American Union and on
earth have not attached the apparent importance this personal commentary attaches
to homosexuality. Rather, many revolutionaries attach importance to the
various sectors of the working class in combat with the state, and as this.

No one is required to attach the same importance to homosexuality as that of
- say, the issue of 3 billion people on earth facing starvation and ruin at
the hands of bourgeois property.

To align Fidel with Mugabe on the basis of ones attitude towards
homosexuality and gay groups in Cuba, seems to be extremely shortsighted. I would at least
attempt to explain the questions posed historically and then the various
ideological categories on the basis of reasonable clear class and property
relations.

Melvin P.