[Marxism] re: Books on the Spanish Civil War

Paddy Apling e.c.apling at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 20 03:21:54 MDT 2004

Chris Brady wrote 19 April 2004 20:10

> Subject: [Marxism] re: Books on the Spanish Civil War
>

> At the risk of flogging a dead horse, I have already reiterated Javier's
> request that did specify "minus Trotsky and Marrow's books".

and to his list I would add, from a British perspective:

British Volunteers for Liberty: Spain 1936-1939, Bill Alexander,
London:Lawrence & Wishart, 1982

Bill Alexander also wrote a chapter in Inside the Myth, ed. Christopher
Norris, Lawrence & Wishart, 1984 entitled "George Orwell and Spain".

Bill Alexander worked as an industrial chemist having taken his degree at
Reading University (where I was later a university teacher for 25 years).
In the Spanish Civil War he served as Political Commisar of the SAnti-Tank
Battery and Commander of the British Battalion, until he was injured nd
invalided home in August 1938.  In WWII he was Cptain in the Reconnaissance
Corps in Italy, France and Germany.  He subsequently became Assistant
Secretary of the British Communist Party (until 1963) and, until his death,
was Vice-Chairmn of the International Brigade Association.
----

Channel 4 (TV channel) produced a reading list in connection with a series
broadcast in Jan/Feb 1983, which was headed by Bill Alexander's book - and
besides most of those already quoted in this thread lists:

David Corkhill & Stuart J Rawnsley (eds), The Road to Spain: anti-fascists
at war 1936-1939, (Borderline paperback)

Gabriel Jackson, Concise Hisory of the Spanish Civil War, Thames & Hudson
paperpback, 1980

David Mitchell, The Spanih Civil War,  Granada paperback, 1982.

and  based on comtemporary accounts:
Blood of Spain, the Experience of Civil War, 1936-1939, Ronald Frazer,
Penguin, 1981

Their listing also includes the comment: "The atmosphere of the period can
perhaps be most strongly recaptured by reading the fiction of the era, and
the many pblished autobiographies of those involved:

apart from the well-known Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls, I would
recommend:

Laurie Lee - As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning, Deutch, 1969 (and
Penguin 1971)
Laurie Lee also served in the British Battalion of the International
Brigade - and his light-hearted, semi-autobiographical story shows something
of the chaos of the Anarchist and POUM areas of the front.

Comradely greetings,
Paddy
NFHS Member #5594
Mailto:e.c.apling at btinternet.com