[Marxism] Senator: Draft may be needed to boost forces

Derek Seidman derekseidman at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 20 12:33:38 MDT 2004

Senator says US may need compulsory service to boost
Iraq force
1 hour, 54 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AFP) - A senior Republican lawmaker said
that deteriorating security in Iraq may force the
United States to reintroduce the military draft.

"There's not an American ... that doesn't understand
what we are engaged in today and what the prospects
are for the future," Senator Chuck Hagel told a Senate
Foreign Relations Committee hearing on post-occupation
Iraq.

"Why shouldn't we ask all of our citizens to bear some
responsibility and pay some price?" Hagel said,
arguing that restoring compulsory military service
would force "our citizens to understand the intensity
and depth of challenges we face."

Full:
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20040420/pl_afp/us_iraq_military_draft_040420163408