[Marxism] Blogs

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 20 14:19:49 MDT 2004

I've written before about this, but with the discussion heating up over the
elections, Kerry's position on Iraq and Palestine, immediate withdrawal vs.
"UN in" vs. increase US troop strength in Iraq, 9-11 commission, books by
Clarke, Suskind, and Woodward, etc., now's a good time for a reminder about
blogs. There are a number of "center-left" blogs where these kinds of
discussions are going on every day, and where Marxmail contributors could
make a difference, talking to politically interested people who are actually
open to discussion on these kinds of issues.

And I'm not talking about small numbers of people.  While we spend time on
Marxmail  discussing articles in papers like the Militant which has a
circulation of a couple thousand (? or is it less?) a week, the two largest
center-left blogs, Daily KOS and Atrios, get 120,000 and 92,000 visitors
DAILY. So you can talk to your co-workers (and you should) and try to
educate the same handful of people week after week. You can hold a forum
(and you should) and reach a few hundred people. You can hold a
demonstration (and you should) and reach a few thousand, or tens of
thousands or maybe hundreds of thousands (depending on what city you live
in) of people, once every few months. Or (or let's make that "and") you can
go read blogs like these, stick your $0.02 in the comment section, and help
shape the discussion and thoughts of tens of thousands of people every day.

The reason I make this plea is because, while I'm busy doing this, there is
virtually no one else occupying the same "political space" as I (and other
Marxmail subscribers) doing this. A few, but not many. As a point of
reference, I think I could count the number of people willing to defend (or
even not attack) Ralph Nader on the fingers of one hand. Other issues the
same. And, to repeat, these people are politically interested, and many of
them, maybe most, are very much open to discussion and persuasion. But it
takes more than just me to do the persuading. So please, join me!

Here's some blogs I check periodically. Of course aside from engaging in
discussions, there is also good information to be found here:

Daily KOS: http://www.dailykos.com/
Atrios: http://atrios.blogspot.com/
Whiskey Bar (Billmon): http://www.billmon.org/
Counterspin Central: http://counterspin.blogspot.com/
TalkLeft: http://www.talkleft.com/
Body and Soul: http://bodyandsoul.typepad.com/
Oliver Willis: http://www.oliverwillis.com/

There are certainly other interesting blogs, some even more interesting than
the ones above. But not all allow comments, and these are the top ones I
know of as far as actual discussion amongst the readers.

I should also plug my own blog:

Left I on the News: http://lefti.blogspot.com

which does allow comments, and occasionally gets a good discussion going in
the comment section, but not nearly as often as the blogs above. Of course I
welcome Marxmail readers, but if you want to participate in this "project,"
then the ones listed above are the ones that fit the bill.