[Marxism] Million Worker March Proposal

Jon Flanders jonathan.flanders at verizon.net
Tue Apr 20 14:26:25 MDT 2004

www.millionworkermarch.org

 RESOLUTION PROPOSING A MILLION WORKERS MARCH ON   WASHINGTON

 ADOPTED BY International Longshore and
 Warehouse Union (ILWU) LOCAL 10

 Whereas: our ancestors fought tirelessly in this
 country for the right to organize unions and ensure that our government
recognized this right because it is a cornerstone of democracy, and

 Whereas: that because of unions and solidarity among working people we
have been able to win basic human rights, including employer paid health
care, social security and retirement benefits, safe working conditions,
decent hours and wages, education for our children, social services for
the disadvantaged, civil liberties, and most important, the right to
political influence over our nation's foreign and domestic
 policies, and

 Whereas: Franklin D. Roosevelt, in his State of the Union address in
1944 acknowledged our rights, saying, "We have come to the realization
of the fact that true individual freedom cannot exist without economic
security and independence. Necessitous men are not free
 men. People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which
dictatorships are made." and

 Whereas: the current administration, with the
 complicity of congress, has cooperated with big
 business in attacking our rights, using legislation
 such as the Patriot Acts I and II, denying the right of hundreds of
thousands of Federal employees to belong to unions and bargain, forcing
longshore workers to work under a Taft-Hartley Act injunction and
threats of Federal intervention, and

 Whereas: the administration, with the complicity of congress, has
negotiated trade agreements costing the jobs of hundreds of thousands of
US workers, calling this a move towards a healthy economy, while
promoting other economic policies, such as privatization and
deregulation which has resulted in the loss of over 3
 million jobs since taking office, and

 Whereas: the administration, with the complicity of congress has given
corporations and the wealthy huge tax breaks, while cutting billions of
dollars in spending for social services, education, and other government
programs won by working people through decades of effort, and

 Whereas: the Bush administration, with the complicity of congress, has
excused all these policies by using the terrible events of September 11
to label any opposition unpatriotic and a threat to national security,
has taken our country into an unjust war under the false assertion that
Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction, costing the lives of
hundreds of US service members and innocent Iraqi civilians, and is
whipping up fear and even further to try to stampede
 the public into giving it another term in office,

 Be it therefore resolved: that Local 10 of the ILWU calls on unions and
working people generally to go to Washington DC for a Million Worker
March, to demand that politicians and the administration listen to the
people who pay their salaries, rather than the voices of big business
and the rich, and

 Be it further resolved: that this resolution be
 forwarded to unions, labor councils and labor
 organizations, as well as other organizations to
 whichworkers belong, whether organized or not, so that they can take
similar action to organize this March as soon as possible.

 Be it finally resolved: that this event coincide with
 all labor organized voter registration drives planned  for the next
election.

 PLEASE FORWARD BY EMAIL TO:
 TRENT WILLIS, BUSINESS AGENT, ILWU LOCAL 10
 willislocal10 at c...
 www.millionworkermarch.org
 fax: attention: Trent Willis (510) 441 0610