[Marxism] Re: Gay Liberation

Macdonald Stainsby mstainsby at resist.ca
Wed Apr 21 10:56:45 MDT 2004

marxism-request at lists.econ.utah.edu wrote:

> I guess it is probably true that in theory one could envision capitalist
> ideology evolving in such a way as to dispense with anti-gay prejudice,
> just as in theory one could imagine a capitalism that isn't inherently
> racist.

Well, I didn't exactly escape (or try to) my youth without bending my
psyche with the odd hallucinogen, but even in that state I cannot conceive
of a capitalism without racism or homophobia as a main plank. However, I do
think that it is evident by the society we live in on the North American
continent (and Australia must be similar here) will try to take the
cultural aspects and spin them on their head.

However, that isn't the case with *structural* racism (homophobia, though I
get annoyed by "Second wave" analyses that place it as a 'mere' aspect of
patriarchy, will fall into a similar pattern as male/female gender). It is
as inconceivable that racism could be undone here as it is that capitalism
will deliberately redistribute wealth.

For the few wealthy people of colour who have never had any real need for
anything, this might seem obvious. But this structural reality isn't
changing and we do no favours even hypothesizing it were possible.

Gary argues that anti-gay persecution stemmed from a
> capitalist-ultrarightist alliance necessitated by the Cold War, and
> antigay prejudice was a "price" the capitalists were willing to pay.

Good politics can produce both J Edgar Hoover and Will & Grace.

--
Macdonald Stainsby