[Marxism] FW: Part II Zionists And/As Nazis

Craven, Jim JCraven at clark.edu
Wed Apr 21 11:20:52 MDT 2004

>From Tom Segev "The Seventh Million: Israelis and the Holocaust":

"The haavara agreement was a central issue in the elections in the
summer of 1933 for representatives to the Eighteenth Zionist Congress.
The Revisionists rejected [in a turnabout] any contact with Nazi
Germany. It was inconsistent with the honor of the Jewish people, they
said; Jabotinsky declared it 'ignoble, disgraceful and contemptible'.
The Revisionist press now castigated the Zionist Organization and the
Jewish Agency as 'Hitler's allies', people 'who have trampled roughshod
on Jewish honor, on Jewish conscience, and on Jewish ethics...dark
characters who have come to trade on the troubles of the Jews and on the
land of Israel...low types who have accepted the role of Hitler's agents
in Palestine and in the entire Near East...traitors...deceivers who lust
after Hitler's government.' " (p. 24)

"After reading the Nazi Party newspaper, Ben-Gurion wrote, it seemed to
him that he was reading the words of Zeev Jabotinsky in Doar Hayom: 'the
same thing, the same style, and the same spirit.' " (p. 24)

"In his impassioned speech, Ben-Gurion called for the rescue of German
Jewry, 'a tribe of Israel', and their transfer to Palestine, rather than
action against Hitler. ' I do not believe that we can oust him and I am
not interested in anything other than saving these 500,000 Jews,' he
said. Ben-Gurion saw the debate between rescue and boycott as  a debate
between Zionism and assimilation, between the nationalist interests of
Jewish settlement in Palestine and the international war against
anti-Semitism. The assumption imnplicit in his words was that the war
against anti-Semitism was not a part of the Zionist mission." (pp.
24-25)

"To make his point, Ben-Gurion used harsh language that would in time be
employed by anti-Zionists: 'If I knew that it was possible to save all
the children in Germany by transporting them to England, but only half
of them by transporting them to Palestine, I would choose the
second--because we face not only the reckoning of those children, but
the historical reckoning of the Jewish people.' In the wake of the
Kristallnacht pogroms, Ben-Gurion commented that the 'human conscience'
might bring various countries to open their doors to Jewish refugees
from Germany. He saw this as a threat and
warned: 'Zionism is in danger.' " (p 28)

"Nevertheless, the pragmatists were convinced that the boycott of
Germany could not advance the interests of Palestine, that their ends
could best be accomplished through contact with the Nazis. Thus the
leaders sought to keep relations with Nazi Germany as normal as
possible: Two months after Hitler came to power the Jewish Agency
executive in Jerusalem had sent a telegram straight to the Fuhrer in
Berlin, assuring him that the yishuv had not declared a boycott against
his country; the telegram was sent at the request of German Jewry in the
hope of halting their persecution, but it reflected the Jewish Agency's
inclination to maintain correct relations with the Nazi Government. Many
years later, Menachem Begin revealed that the Zionist Organization had
sent hitler a cable of condolence on the death of President Hindenburg."
(p. 29)

"Traveling on to Cairo, he [Eichmann] summoned a Jew from Jerusalem, one
Fiebl Folkes. A report from Eichmann wrote of his trip and the record of
his interrogation by the Israeli police decades later indicate[s] that
Folkes was a member of the Haganah--the clandestine Jewish defense
force--and a Nazi agent. On one occasion he even met with Eichmann in
Berlin. The Nazis paid him for his information, mostly rather general
political and economic evaluations. Among other things, Eichmann quoted
Folkes to the effect that Zionist leaders were pleased by the
persecution of German Jewry, since it would encourage immigration to
Palestine." (p. 30)

to be continued...

Jim C.