[Marxism] FW: Part III Zionists And/As Nazis

Craven, Jim JCraven at clark.edu
Wed Apr 21 11:21:14 MDT 2004

>From Tom Segev "The Seventh Million: The Israelis and the Holocaust"

"Ironically the Revisionists also had fairly wide-ranging links with the
Nazis. The Betar youth movement was active in Berlin and several other
German cities. About half a year before the Nazis came to power, the
movement's leadership distributed a memorandum to its members that was
both commonsensical and cautious. The Nazis should be treated politely
and with reserve, the memorandum instructed. Whenever Betar members were
in public, they should remain quiet and refrain from vocal debates and
critical comments. Under no circumstances should anyone say anything
that could be interpreted as an insult to the German people, to its
institutions, or to its prevailing ideology.

  The Nazis allowed Betar to continue its activities--meetings,
conventions, summer camps hikes, sports, sailing, and agricultural
training. Members were allowed to wear their uniforms, which included
brown shirts, and they were allowed to publish mimeographed pamphlets,
including Zionist articles in a nationalistic, para-Fascist tone, in the
spirit of the times. The German Betar pamphlets focused on events in
Palestine, and their exuberant nationalism targeted the British, the
Arabs, and the Zionist left. The contained no references to the
political situation in Germany. With this exception, they were similar
to the nationalist German youth publications, including those published
by the Nazis. Jabotinsky decried the influence Hitlerism was having on
the members of Betar." (pp. 32)

In the second half of 1940, a few members of the Irgun Zvai Leumi
(National Military Organization)--the anti-British terrorist group
sponsored by the Revisionists and known by its acronym Etzel, and to the
British simply as the Irgun--made contact with representatives of
Fascist Italy, offering to cooperate against the British. Soon the Etzel
split, and the group headed by Avraham "Yair" Stern formed itself into
the Lehi (from the initials of its Hebrew name, Lohamei Herut
Yisrael--Fighters for the Freedom of Israel), also known as the Stern
Gang. A representative of this group met with a German foreign ministry
official and offered to help Nazi Germany in its war against the
British. The Germans understood that the group aimed to establish an
independent state based on the totalitarian principles of the Fascist
and Nazi regimes. Many years after he tried to forge this lik with
Nazis, a former Lehi leader explained what had guided his men at the
time: 'Our obligation was to fight the enemy. We were justified in
taking aid from the Nazi oppressor, who was in this case the enemy of
our enemy--the British.' " (p. 33)

"The question was what to do with those refugees who were neither
Zionist nor fit to help build the new society in Palestine. 'Only God
knows how the poor little land of Israel can take in this stream of
people and emerge with a healthy social structure', Chaim Weizmann
wrote. The German Immigrants Association complained that the Jewish
Agency's representatives in Berlin were giving immigration certificates
to invalids. ' The human material [direct quote and their words] coming
from Germany is getting worse and worse', the association charged after
almost a year of Nazi rule. 'They are not able and not willing to work,
and they need social assistance.' A year later the association sent to
Berlin a list of names of people who should not have been sent.
Henrietta Szold, who headed the Jewish Agency's social-work division,
also frequently protested about the sick and needy among the immigrants.
>From time to time Szold demanded that certain of such 'cases' be
returned to Nazi Germany so that they would not be a burden on the
yishuv." (p. 43)

"In 1937 the Joint Distribution Committee, an American organization that
assisted needy Jews, negotiated with the German authorities for the
release of 120 Jewish prisoners from the Dachau concentration camp. 'I
am not so sure that from a political point of view it is desirable that
all those released come to Palestine', a Jewish Agency official wrote to
one of his colleagues. Most were not Zionists; and there may even have
been Communists among them." (pp 43-44)

to be continued...

Jim C