[Marxism] Marxism] Re: anti-semitism and Israel

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Wed Apr 21 13:11:07 MDT 2004

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:08:04 EDT MOTECK1457 at aol.com writes:
> In a message dated 4/20/2004 10:50:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> dmurray at studentmail.newcastle.edu.au writes:
> What i have read so far. Evidence of Zionist-Nazi collaboration is
> Scant.
> Most of what I have read comes from compromised sources (Stalinist
> or Arab
> nationalist and Heallyite). Compromised because of STalinist
> collaboration with
> the Nazis from the Red Referendum of 1932 to the end of the
> Russian-German
> pact of 1939. As well as various arab nationalists giving assylum to
> Nazis for
> many years. Not to mention Heally's paranoid bollocks about the
> world Jewish
> conspiracy.
> It falls into the realm of Holocaust revisionism to say that
> Zionists-whether
> left, right or center-would collaborate with Nazis.
>
> The underlying agenda of those who make this claim is denomization
> of all
> Israelis and all Jews.

One instance of collaboration between Nazis and Zionists
was the Ha'avarah or Transfer Agreement which
was entered into by the Third Reich and Zionist
leaders in both Germany and Palestin during the
1930s.  Concerning the Ha'avarah Hannah Arendt
in *Eichmann in Jerusalem*  wrote:

But quite apart from all slogans and ideological quarrels, it
was in those years a fact of everyday life that only Zionists
had any chance of negotiating with the German authorities,
for the simple reason that their chief Jewish adversary,
the Central Association of German Citizens of Jewish
Faith, to which ninety-five percent of organized Jews in
Germany then belonged, specified in its bylaws that its
chief task was the "fight against anti-Semitism"; it had
suddenly become by definition  an organization
"hostile to the State,"and would have been persecuted-
which it was not - if it had dared to do what it was
supposed to do.  During its first few years, Hitler's rise
to power appeared to the Zionists chiefly as "the
decisive defeat of assimilationism."  Hence, the Zionists
could, for a time, engage in a certain amount of
non-criminal cooperation with the Nazi authorities;
the Zionists too believed that "dissimilation" combined
with the emigration to Palestine of Jewish youngsters
and, they hoped, Jewish capitalists, would be a
"mutually fair solution."  At the time, many German
officials held this opinion, and this kind of talk
seemed quite common up to the end.  A letter
from a survivor of Theresienstadt, a German Jew,
relates that all the leading positions in the Nazi-
appointed Reichsvereinigung were held by
Zionists (whereas the authentically Jewish
Reichsvertretung had been composed of
both Zionists and non-Zionists), because
Zionists, according to the Nazis were "the
'decent' Jews since they too thought in
'national' terms."  To be sure, no prominent
Nazi ever spoke publicly in this vein; from
beginning to end, Nazi propaganda was
fiercely, unequivocally, uncompromisingly
anti-Semitic, and eventually nothing counted
but what people who were still without
experience in the mysteries of totalitarian
government dismissed as "mere propaganda."
There existed in those early years a mutually
satisfactory agreement - a Ha'avarah, or
Transfer Agreement, which provided that an
emigrant to Palestine could transfer his
money there in German goods and exchange
them for pounds on arrival.  It was soon the
only legal way for a Jew to take his money
with him (the alternative then being the
establishment of a blocked account,
which could be liquidated abroad only
at a loss between fifity and ninety-five
percent).  The result was that in the
thirties, when American Jewry took
great pains to organize a boycott of
German merchandise, Palestine, of
all places was swamped with all kinds
of goods "made in Germany."
While Saul Friedlaender in
Consenting Elites, Threatened Elite
Source: S. Friedlaender, Chapter 2 in: *Nazi Germany and
the Jews , Vol I -
The Years of Persecution 1933-1939*, (New York 1997), p. 41-72.
www.history-of-the-holocaust.org/LIBARC/LIBRARY/Themes/Policy/Friedl1.htm
l#part%20D
writes:

In one instance only were the economic conditions
of emigration somewhat facilitated. Not only did
the regime encourage Zionist activities on the
territory of the Reich, but concrete economic
measures were taken to ease the departure of Jews
for Palestine. The so-called Haavarah (Hebrew:
Transfer) Agreement, concluded on August 27, 1933,
between the German Ministry of the Economy and
Zionist representatives from Germany and Palestine,
allowed Jewish emigrants indirect transfer of part
of their assets and facilitated exports of goods
from Nazi Germany to Palestine. As a result, some
one hundred milliReichsmarks were transferred to
Palestine, and most of the sixty thousand German
Jews who arrived in that country during 1933-1939
could thereby ensure a minimal basis for their material existence.
Economic agreement and some measure of co-operation
in easing Jewish emigration from Germany (and in
1938 and 1939) from post-Anschluss Austria and
German-occupied Bohemia-Moravia) to Palestine, were
of course purely instrumental. The Zionist had no
doubts about the Nazis' evil designs on the Jews,
and the Nazis considered the Zionists first and foremost
Jews. About Zionism itself, moreover, Nazi ideology and
Nazi policies were divided from the outset: while favouring,
like all other European extreme anti-Semites, Zionism
as a means of enticing the Jews to leave Europe, they
also considered the Zionist Organisation established in
Basel in 1897 as a key element of the Jewish world
conspiracy - a Jewish state in Palestine would be a
kind of Vatican co-ordinating Jewish scheming all over
the world. Such necessary but unholy contacts between
Zionists and Nazis nonetheless continued up to the
beginning (and into) the war. One of the main benefits
the new regime hoped to reap from the Haavarah was a
breach in the foreign Jewish economic boycott of Germany.
The Nazi fears of a significant Jewish boycott were,
in fact, basically unreal, but Zionist policy responded
to what the Germans hoped to achieve. The Zionist organisations
and the leadership of the Yishuv (the Jewish community in
Palestine) distanced themselves from any form of mass
protest or boycott to avoid creating obstacles to the
new arrangements. Even before the conclusion of the
Haavarah Agreement, such "co-operation" sometimes took
bizarre forms. Thus, in early 1933, Baron
Leopold Itz Edler von Mildenstein, a man who a few years
later was to become chief of the Jewish section of the
SD (the Sicherheitsdienst, or security service, the
SS intelligence branch headed by Reinhard Heydrich),
was invited along with his wife to tour Palestine
and to write a series of articles for Goebbels´s
Der Angriff. And so it was that the Mildensteins,
accompanied by Kurt Tuchler, a leading member of the
Berlin Zionist Organisation, and his wife, visited
Jewish settlements in Eretz Israel. The highly
positive articles, entitled "A Nazi Visits Palestine,"
were duly published, and, to mark the occasion, a
special medallion cast, with a swastika on one side
and a Star of David on the other.