[Marxism] Mark Jones was right #2

Jon Flanders jonathan.flanders at verizon.net
Fri Apr 23 18:10:12 MDT 2004

'In the longer run, we need to eliminate imperialism with its massive
fossil fuel-consuming military machine, and break down the distinction
between city and countryside, etc. It is a race for time, and for
survival of this planet. But we should also be aware that
mass-production substitutes for fossil-fuel energy sources are being
developed and, if society were organized on a non-capitalist basis,
could be developed much further and faster and used far more extensively
than they are now. That's all"

No argument at all with the above, Richard. Furthermore, a viable
renewable energy system will also most certainly be a "no growth"
system. It is hard to imagine capitalism in that context.

Certainly the notion of capitalism as a malignancy consuming its
planetary host rings true to me.

By the way, I see that there is a new Canadian documentary out on the
oil peak crisis. I just ordered a dvd copy.

Jon Flanders

*************************

http://www.endofsuburbia.com/

THE END OF SUBURBIA: Oil Depletion and the Collapse of The American
Dream

Since World War II North Americans have invested much of their newfound
wealth in suburbia. It has promised a sense of space, affordability,
family life and upward mobility. As the population of suburban sprawl
has exploded in the past 50 years, so too the suburban way of life has
become embedded in the American consciousness.

Suburbia, and all it promises, has become the American Dream.

But as we enter the 21st century, serious questions are beginning to
emerge about the sustainability of this way of life. With brutal honesty
and a touch of irony, The End of Suburbia explores the American Way of
Life and its prospects as the planet approaches a critical era, as
global demand for fossil fuels begins to outstrip supply. World Oil Peak
and the inevitable decline of fossil fuels are upon us now, some
scientists and policy makers argue in this documentary. The consequences
of inaction in the face of this global crisis are enormous. What does
Oil Peak mean for North America? As energy prices skyrocket in the
coming years, how will the populations of suburbia react to the collapse
of their dream? Are today's suburbs destined to become the slums of
tomorrow? And what can be done NOW, individually and collectively, to
avoid The End of Suburbia ?

Hosted by Barrie Zwicker. Featuring James Howard Kunstler, Peter
Calthorpe, Michael Klare, Richard Heinberg, Matthew Simmons, Mike
Ruppert, Julian Darley, Colin Campbell, Kenneth Deffeyes, Ali Samsam
Bakhtiari and Steve Andrews. Directed by Gregory Greene. Produced by
Barry Silverthorn.

DVD BONUS: Includes the vintage short films, In the Suburbs and
Destination Earth. Also includes producer and director commentary and
edited audio for audiences under 18 years.

Duration: 78 minutes