[Marxism] I feel a draft coming (was Re: CNN poll...)

g.maclennan at qut.edu.au g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Sat Apr 24 15:27:27 MDT 2004

I think Jose is absolutely correct here about the draft. It
is a military necessity and the logic of the perptetual war
scenario.

The politics of it all are though quite complex.  Not until
after November is fairly easy to grasp.  Bush is not going
into this election promising to bring back the draft - no
way.  But what will the Democrats do? I am beginning to think
that Kerry might just defeat Bush, so it is an important
question.

>From here I would say that a Democratic victory does not make
a draft less likely at all.  Indeed I am tempted, looking at
the history of Democratic Presidents, to say that a Kerry
victory makes a draft more likely.

In any case the Kerry camp has promised more troops and that
can only mean increased pressure for a draft.

So after November it will be extremely interesting times on
the campuses and wherever young people are gathered together.

regards

Gary