[Marxism] Fwd: Chavez praises Marxist.com and backs HandsoffVenezuela campaign, David Walters

Einde O'Callaghan einde at gmx.de
Sun Apr 25 08:40:51 MDT 2004

Pieinsky wrote:
> Very interesting.  I read the www.marxist.com articles by Wood et al.
> They're usually well-written, albeit a little too formulaic and optimistic
> in the last couple of paragraphs about the prospects for proletarian
> revolution wherever they're talking about.  Not coming out the Trotskyist
> milieu myself, I was wondering:  Does this "tendency" actually have a mass
> base anywhere?  UK?  Were there previous connections/roots in Venezuela that
> they're building off of?  Or, are are they just a couple of guys writing?

TEd Grant and Alan Wood were formerly leaders of the Militant Tendency
in Britain (Grant was teh founder of the organisation), which in turn
was the centre of an international organisation called the Committee for
a Workers' International (CWI). The CWI does have some basis in a number
of countries.

When the Militant tendency left the British Labour Party, where they had
been practising deep entry for over three decades, in the mid 1990s
Grant & Wood parted company with them. In Britain only a very small
minority sided with them, but they did have supporters in other sections
of the CWI. How significant their forces are I don't know, as in
Britain, Ireland and Germany (the countries I'm familiar with) they are
quite insignificant.

Einde O'Callaghan