[Marxism] The food-dog-methodism connection in the Bush presidency

Jurriaan Bendien andromeda246 at hetnet.nl
Sun Apr 25 16:54:34 MDT 2004

"My attitude is that when we put a youngster in harm's way, somebody who
wears our nation's uniform in harm's way, he or she deserves the absolute
best... the best way to get the news is from objective sources. And the most
objective sources I have are people on my staff who tell me what's happening
in the world."

"Actually, the seeds of my decision had been planted the year before, by the
Reverend Billy Graham. (...) We all had lunch on the patio overlooking the
ocean. (...) Over the course of that weekend, Reverend Graham planted a
mustard seed in my soul, a seed that grew over the next year. He led me to
the path, and I began walking. (...) My interest in reading the Bible grew
stronger and stronger, and the words became clearer and more meaningful.
(...) I took it seriously, with my usual touch of humor. (...) we went to
the Sea of Galilee and stood atop the hill where Jesus delivered the Sermon
on the Mount. It was an overwhelming feeling to stand in the spot where the
most famous speech in the history of the world was delivered. (...)
Faith changes lives. I know, because faith has changed mine." (...) "Today,
two weeks after Jeb's inauguration, in the church in downtown Austin, the
pastor Mark Craig was telling me that my reelection as the first Governor to
win back-to-back four- year terms in the history of the state of Texas was a
beginning, not an end.... People are starved for faithfulness. He talked of
the need for honesty in government; he warned that leaders who cheat on
their wives will cheat their country, will cheat their colleagues, will
cheat themselves. The minister said that America is starved for honest
leaders. He told the story of Moses, asked by God to lead his people to a
land of milk and honey.
http://www.praisecafe.org/boards/ubb-get_topic-f-11-t-000068.html

"People should develop good eating habits. Let me put it another way. You
need to eat your vegetables - and your fruits. We've been working on Dad for
a while on the broccoli issue."
http://www.asaging.org/at/at-234/Potomac.html

"By refusing to comply with his own agreements, [Saddam Hussein] bears full
guilt for the hunger and misery of innocent Iraqi citizens."
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/09/20020912-1.html

"...Americans should be physically active every day. Second, develop good
eating habits. Third, take advantage of preventative screenings. And fourth,
don't smoke, don't do drugs, and don't drink excessively. (...) eat a
nutritious diet. That means at least five fruits or vegetables a day. I've
got a little work in my family. We've been working on the old - well, been
working on number 41 to eat broccoli for all these years. (Laughter.) But
it's good advice. If you're interested in your health, cut out fatty foods,
watch what you eat.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/06/20020620-2.html

"...we will remain in Iraq as long as necessary, and not a day more. (...)
After defeating enemies, we did not leave behind occupying armies, we left
constitutions and parliaments. We established an atmosphere of safety, in
which responsible, reform-minded local leaders could build lasting
institutions of freedom. In societies that once bred fascism and militarism,
liberty found a permanent home."
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/02/20030226-11.html

"When government discriminates against religious groups, it is not the
groups that suffer most. The loss comes to the hungry
who don't get fed, to the addicts who don't get help, to the children that
drift toward self-destruction."
http://www.wfn.org/2002/12/msg00136.html

A roast turkey presented to US troops in Iraq for Thanksgiving by President
George W Bush was reportedly only used for decorative purposes. (...)  the
bird had been roasted by a contractor to use as a table decoration. (...)
US officials countered they did not know that the turkey was going to be
there or that Mr Bush was going to pick it up.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3294501.stm . A mortar attack on the
headquarters of the 101st Airborne Division in the northern city of Mosul in
Iraq killed an American soldier hours after President Bush made a secret
visit to Baghdad to spend Thanksgiving with U.S. troops fighting to end a
guerrilla war.
"We can also greatly reduce the long-term problem of hunger in Africa by
applying the latest developments of science. I have proposed an Initiative
to End Hunger in Africa. By widening the use of new high-yield bio-crops and
unleashing the power of markets, we can dramatically increase agricultural
productivity and feed more people across the continent. Yet, our partners in
Europe are impeding this effort."
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/05/20030521-2.html

According to Sir Peter Stothard's book, 30 Days: a Month at the Heart of
Blair's War, Blair regularly subsisted almost entirely on fruit and Wagon
Wheels and ate nutritious meals only in the company of President Bush.
http://www.anecdotage.com/index.php?aid=12975

On the state banquet menu [with the English Queen], in French, is consommé
with sorrel, roast halibut with herbs, breast of chicken with basil, roast
potatoes, Savoy cabbage and salad, followed by vanilla praline and coffee
ice cream. Five wines, including vintage champagne, were being served.
http://archives.tcm.ie/breakingnews/2003/11/19/story122082.asp

"I hope people around this country realize that agencies such as this food
bank need money. They need our contributions. Contributions are down. They
shouldn't be down in a time of need. We shouldn't let the enemy affect us to
the point where we become less generous. Our spirit should never be
diminished by what happened on September the 11th, 2001. Quite the contrary.
We must stand squarely in the face of evil by doing some good."
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/12/20021219-1.html

Question: "The President is accused of living on a diet of "peanut butter
and jelly sandwiches, Fritos and Cheese Doodles" while on the campaign
trail. Is this true?". Art Fleischer: "As you all know, the President is a
firm believer in exercise and a well-rounded diet, so I think to be totally
accurate, you'd need to add cotton candy, hot pretzels and freeze pops to
that list."
http://www.modernhumorist.com/mh/0203/bushdoc/
"She's just trying to make sure Anthony gets a good meal - Antonio." -
George W. Bush, on Laura Bush inviting Justice Antonin Scalia to dinner at
the White House, Jan. 2001 http://www.lifeisajoke.com/politics23_html.htm
[In 1989] Scalia got his wish (upon a star) to fortify the Eighth Amendment
from external influences and writes the majority opinion, permitting the
execution of children who committed crime at 16 and 17.
http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/forum/khan1.php

When Ronald Reagan was president, he used to bring walnuts back from Camp
David and feed them to the squirrels in the Rose Garden. He'd keep the
walnuts in the bottom drawer of his desk, and in quiet times between
meetings he'd open the patio doors and roll the nuts out onto the colonnade,
and legions of squirrels would come jumping up. Then President Bush [Senior]
took over. He opened the patio doors. The squirrels scampered up as usual.
But instead of lunch, they found themselves looking into the jaws of the
spaniel Millie, who bounded out to hunt down some fat and complacent quarry.
The squirrels, as Mr. Bush liked to brag, "were history."
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/24/opinion/24DOWD.html?ex=1083038400&en=f48ab
fbf8c4f4d4d&ei=5070).

Saturday  Feb 21, 2004 - Spot, an English springer spaniel with a White
House pedigree who spent nearly 15 years with President Bush and his family,
has died (...) around 1:30 p.m. after suffering a series of strokes. (...)
Spot was the daughter of Millie, a dog owned by the president's father and
mother, former President George Bush and Barbara Bush.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/02/21/white.house.dog/

"This book ["The Faith of George W. Bush"] is profoundly comforting in its
portrayal of our highest leader as a man of God. It gives me great hope for
the future of our country."
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1585423092/002-1116390-6941623
?v=glance&vi=customer-reviews

Richard Land, of the Southern Baptist Convention, recalls Bush once saying,
"I believe God wants me to be president." After Sept. 11, Michael Duffy
wrote in Time magazine, the president spoke of "being chosen by the grace of
God to lead at that moment."
http://www.sojo.net/index.cfm?action=magazine.article&mode=printer_friendly&
issue=soj0309&article=030910

"The decision about war and peace is a decision I made based upon what I
thought were the best interests of the American people. I was able to step
back from religion, because I have a job to do." - George W. Bush, talking
with NBC's Nightly News anchorman Tom Brokaw after he toured the Lima Army
Tank Plant in Lima, Ohio, April 24, 2003.
http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/issues/iraq/attack/2003/0425brokaw.htm
President George Bush's own Methodist church has launched a scathing attack
on his preparations for war against Iraq, saying they are 'without any
justification according to the teachings of Christ'.

Several United Methodist bishops and the head of the United Methodist Church
's Washington lobby office have fiercely denounced fellow United Methodist
George W. Bush for contributing to "spiritual forces of wickedness."  "These
United Methodist officials are effectively telling the President he is not a
good Christian because his policies do not match their own left-wing
beliefs," commented Mark Tooley, who directs the IRD's United Methodist
committee. (...) The United Methodist Church affirms Christ's full deity,
opposes same-sex unions, and is not pacifist.  "Yet these church officials
claim it is President Bush who is violating his own church's teachings,"
Tooley observed. http://www.ird-renew.org/News/News.cfm?ID=617&c=3

In Ohio, hunger is an epidemic. Since George Bush won Ohio in the 2000
presidential elections, the state has lost one in six of its manufacturing
jobs. Two million of the state's 11 million population resorted to food
charities last year, an increase of more than 18% from 2001.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1076591,00.html

TIM RUSSERT. What if you were wrong in any of those instances [of
administering the death penalty] ? And what would Jesus think of the death
penalty?
GEORGE BUSH. I haven't been wrong in any of the incidences because
everybody's had full access to the courts and I don't believe we've ever
executed an innocent person in my state. I support the death penalty because
I believe it saves lives. I support the death penalty, if we administer the
judgment in a sure and swift way that is full of justice, I believe it
creates a society that says I'm not going to go kill somebody. I believe it
protects innocent people to have the death penalty.
TIM RUSSERT. And what would Jesus think of the death penalty?
GEORGE BUSH. Listen, I'm a lowly sinner. I'm not going to put words in
Jesus's mouth.
http://www.nytimes.com/library/politics/camp/011100wh-gop-debate-text.html

 Jurriaan