[Marxism] Re: Women's Rights

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Apr 26 08:31:59 MDT 2004

Stacey Barber wrote:

> Hmm.  I'm under 30 and female and try to be Marxist.  Is this comment
> supposed to reflect Abbie Hoffman's recent comment not to trust anyone under
> thirty?  :)  Do you find the political consciousness of people under 30 to
> be so vacuous?  Are people on this list pessimistic about the younger
> generation of revolutionaries?  I hope not.

I would encourage newcomers not to waste time in debate with Melvin. He
is very, very, very rigid in his views and not open to persuasion. On
the other hand, he is a very valuable participant on the list with a
unique experience in the African-American led auto-worker caucuses and
Maoist party-building experiments of the 1970s. You have to take his
crotchety complaints about Trotskyites, people under 30 and the price of
a good cigar with a grain of salt, just as you would take your Uncle
Ned's at the Thanksgiving dinner table.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org