[Marxism] A materialist approach vs the Copenhagen Interpretation

DoC donaloc at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 27 08:30:28 MDT 2004

Jurriaan and Les, a chairde,

I have to say I'm in broad agreement with Les, we simply can't put
infinity into the exponential - it can't be defined anyhow - although we
can limit the exponential negative infinity though!

Les and Jurriaan, I am interested in what you have to say about the
Standard (i.e. Copenhagen) Interpretation of QM, particularly from a
materialist vantage point. I once read a book by Popper on it and I have
to say I always liked what he had to say - although I didn't think he
made anything nearing a convincing argument in mathematical terms. But
both he and Einstein couldn't get their head around it and I think I
read somewhere previously that the Soviet Scientists rejected it
outright - as a result of political pressure. Perhaps this reaction is
something shared by all thinking students when they fully understand
what's being said.

I certainly had that experience - hence my reading that book. But I kind
of got lost in the detail of the QM - particularly when I was doing it
through operator theory. It has to be said, notwithstanding all that,
that Schrodinger's Equation only appears out of thin air and everything
stems from that. So what's your take?

Is mise
DoC