[Marxism] US attrocities in Vietnam

Ozleft ozleft at optushome.com.au
Tue Apr 27 21:17:50 MDT 2004

I was a reporter and the man I was talking to was a Catholic priest and
I simply took for granted, with a blind trust we used to reserve for
clerics and doctors, that he knew far more than me.

What he told me the troops were saying was that American helicopters
were picking up "suspected" Vietcong irregulars in the countryside and,
on the flight back to Bien Hoa air base, were throwing them to their
deaths. Women suspects were treated differently. They were handed over
to South Vietnamese Army units at the far end of the base to be
literally raped to death.

This was years before the world learned of My Lai and before such
stories, and worse, came to be common currency. But this was 1965 and
Australia's small combat force had been in Vietnam less than two months
and the massive US military build-up - to 400,000 troops, and beyond -
was just gaining pace, and the pain of the man telling me these things
was as real as my fear.

Full: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/04/27/1082831569516.html